Question Steps & stairs

bvm

We‘d like to get a miniature dachshund, but live in a first floor apartment (spacious), with 30 wide, shallow (20cm high) stone steps to get home/out. Would I need to always carry a fully grown miniature dachshund up and down the steps?

And our second home has 5 steps in and out of the house to the garden. Could a miniature dachshund manage those?

How about if it were a standard dachshund?
Advice appreciated!

Cashs Mom

I live in a 2 story house and have had a lot of dachshunds of different sizes. When they are young, most can manage the stairs, but keep in mind that like jumping, stairs are hard on their backs. And as they age, the stairs could become too much for them. I currently have 2 older 18 lb dachshunds. Neither can manage the stairs at this point and have to be carried. If it's a small dog, it's not too much trouble.

Popper

Our mini used to jump off our porch with which is about 2 feet high. At four years old came in the house with her back legs paralyzed and had to have neurosurgery. Thank God the surgery worked and she's fine now but I wouldn't recommend anything like stairs to make her jump. We have since put in a ramp for her and it is working out fine.

D

Deleted member 3351

I’m probably going get an earful for this but….. i’ve had three Doxies, and never have had an issue with their backs. As for stairs, or jumping off of chairs, never has been a problem . I always put a half size stool next to my couch that they can access for an easier transition, but that being said, over the 20 years of owning dachshunds, never had a back issue with any of them. A couple of them have made some tremendous leaps from 3 feet up, which I could not prevent, but never had an issue even then. I tend to think that if we don’t allow their back muscles to experience the strain and muscle building which comes from running and jumping, then their backs will always be a problem, use it or lose it. I have one mini and one Tweeny and they can practically fly.

Cashs Mom

I’m probably going get an earful for this but….. i’ve had three Doxies, and never have had an issue with their backs. As for stairs, or jumping off of chairs, never has been a problem . I always put a half size stool next to my couch that they can access for an easier transition, but that being said, over the 20 years of owning dachshunds, never had a back issue with any of them. A couple of them have made some tremendous leaps from 3 feet up, which I could not prevent, but never had an issue even then. I tend to think that if we don’t allow their back muscles to experience the strain and muscle building which comes from running and jumping, then their backs will always be a problem, use it or lose it. I have one mini and one Tweeny and they can practically fly.
I hope that continues to work for you, Vincent.

Chariya

I'm not giving you grief over your post but after having 3 Dachshunds I always thought I've been lucky to not have any problems with dogs backs. Along came number 4 a 3 year old retired breeder Dachshund, she was the sweetest dog. I had her a year and a half and she started to yelp when I picked her up so off to the vet she went. I got her medication, kept her down, she got better and I thought good no more problems and kept her from jumping. She even had a ramp I built to get up and down on the bed and used it. She was good until the third year I had her, back went out again. Off to the vet for more medication she started to improve and I thought she'll be ok. Came home from work after a week of babying her, she was paralyzed in her back legs. I couldn't afford $8,000-$10,000 for emergency surgery for her back without breaking the bank and no guarantee she would walk again, I had to put her down. I thought I would've had her until she was at least 12.
I have number 5 now a puppy that is going on 9 months old and still have number 3 a 5 year old and I hope to never go through that again. I will not say it won't happen again but I hope it won't. It's alot of work and worry.

D

Deleted member 3351

I'm not giving you grief over your post but after having 3 Dachshunds I always thought I've been lucky to not have any problems with dogs backs. Along came number 4 a 3 year old retired breeder Dachshund, she was the sweetest dog. I had her a year and a half and she started to yelp when I picked her up so off to the vet she went. I got her medication, kept her down, she got better and I thought good no more problems and kept her from jumping. She even had a ramp I built to get up and down on the bed and used it. She was good until the third year I had her, back went out again. Off to the vet for more medication she started to improve and I thought she'll be ok. Came home from work after a week of babying her, she was paralyzed in her back legs. I couldn't afford $8,000-$10,000 for emergency surgery for her back without breaking the bank and no guarantee she would walk again, I had to put her down. I thought I would've had her until she was at least 12.
I have number 5 now a puppy that is going on 9 months old and still have number 3 a 5 year old and I hope to never go through that again. I will not say it won't happen again but I hope it won't. It's alot of work and worry.
Chariya, so sorry for your troubles. Losing a pet is tragic at any time. Good luck with your current companions.

Chariya

Thank you Vincent. I was just pointing out you never know if or when a Dachshunds back can go out and I feel for anybody it happens to.

Cashs Mom

Thank you Vincent. I was just pointing out you never know if or when a Dachshunds back can go out and I feel for anybody it happens to.
That's so true, Chariya. I've had about 15 dachshunds over the last 30+ years. I've had one that had to have back surgery and 3 that have had issues that healed with meds and crate rest. It's heartbreaking and extremely stressful. I had one friend who had her dog's back go out just squirming around when she was holding her. I'm not sure what the causes really are, but I also feel for anyone who goes thru back injuries

Lynn

I absolutely agree with you!

CaseyKC

I purchased a ramp and Annie would get about half way up and slide down backwards. (I have an antique 36" bed) As suggested by the seller, I purchased a roll of sandpaper and papered the walk up area of the ramp. It didn't work and her little paw pads got skinned. I gave the ramp to a friend with a beagle who had no problem with it. Next I went on Etsy and purchased the highest set of stairs available. I took the stairs to a friend who does woodworking who added a landing platform at the top and also added little rolling wheels so I could position it anywhere I wanted it to be. I lured Annie up the stairs with treats placed randomly and the last treat on my bed. The next three weeks I spent placing treats every other step to get her to go down. Now she is able and does use these stairs and I don't have to lift her on and off the bed any more. The stairs have a three inch climb.

Chariya

I built a ramp for my Dachshunds, it has carpet for traction. The rails keep them from jumping off the ramp on their way down.20181215_094428.jpg