Seizures..?

Rosak88

Hi all I'm new to here but my 3 1/2 year old mini dachshund Sydney has recently had two seizures about 4 months apart! To begin with she jumps down of the sofa and stumbles both times I've let her out thinking she needed the toilet but this last time she fell over in the grass got back up and came indoors, she then sat and rocked for a few seconds then went she went to walk she was all over the place stumbling with no coordination and shaking and twitching, she then vomited and instants returned back to normal! Can anyone tell me what this is? Or every experienced it with their own dog? I rushed her to the vet and he said she had had a petit mal or possibly epilepsy and wasn't concerned unless it became a more regular occurrence! Any info would be good :)

Annabellam

Hey. I wouldn't encourage the jumping around as it may lead to some spinal problems. I cannot quite say what caused the seizures but just like you i would be concerned and especially if it keeps happening. If it is epilepsy the vet should be able to tell. The condition can be controlled with medication. All in all i hope it is not. Please try to prevent him from jumping around though and especially for greater heights.

Merlini

Hello,

I see this is from 2016 but my mini doxie that is 11 started having these seizures in January. It is a very mild seizure and my vet said that it could be brought on by a number of things, stress, pain, anxiety, muscle cramp. Mine usually gets them if he has been vigorously playing or seems stressed. That if he has 2 or more in a month or they seem to get worse then I should bring him into the vet.

Tikki

Hello Merlini - seizures starting at such a late age cannot be epilepsy so I would not worry too much. My previous girl, not a Doxie but a mutt, had uncontrollable idiopathic epilepsy from when she was 2 years and 3 months old and no medication could help her.