Need Help Scratching ears

Julesp84

Hi everyone,
I have two miniature smooth haired dachshund one Black and Tan girl who is 6yrs and a red shaded boy who is 5yrs. The issue I have is with my boy dog who is constantly scratching his ears and making them bleed and is now losing hair on both ears. They are on a mixture of raw food and James well beloved kibble. Like i say I only have this issue with my boy dog does anyone have an idea what could be affecting his ears. Both are up to date with their vaccines and are flea and wormed regularly. When I asked my vet they said it could be a skin condition but I don’t want to keep going back to them and waste money. Can anyone help me plz?? Regards Julie x

Attachments

CaseyKC

Have you checked for ear mites? Usually you can see brown gunky stuff if you use a flash light and look into the ears.

CaseyKC

My last little girl developed severe skin allergies when she was between 1 and 2 years old. We had blood panels done, but, when her vet couldn't help control her condition for about a year, we took her to a teaching university where students learn to be veterinarians. No one could figure out her problem and it was getting worse every day. She lost hair on her back and developed horrible sores that had a secondary yeast infection all over her, including her belly and chest. As I was preparing to leave, an older gentleman in the corner crooked his finger at me and whispered that I should meet him outside. Turned out he was a professor emeritus and in previous years had been the chairman of the veterinary department. He didn't want to start what apparently was an ongoing argument with the current teaching staff and students over some of his "old time remedies." He told me to 1. switch my little girl to a grain free diet ( I used Taste of the Wild, Pacific Stream formula,) and 2. to bathe her two or three times a week in human Head
and Shoulders PLUS dandruff shampoo, leaving her in the sink for 10 minutes before rinsing off the suds. He said the PLUS kind of Head and Shoulders shampoo was very important. I did as he said because he was kind, and the university had,after 5 or 6 visits, exhausted all pills, shots, and potions to clear up her itching and scratching. Within six weeks the itching stopped, and, as I continued to bathe her in the shampoo, the crusty secondary yeast infection began to heal, the lesions beneath the crust healed, and all of her fur grew back in. In the spring when pine pollen would coat my car with yellow pollen, one of her identified allergies from the blood panel, she would have minor bumps and begin scratching, so I would begin wiping her down with a wet paper towel after trips to her outdoor designated potty place and bathing her a few times a week with Head and Shoulders PLUS, and it kept it under control until pine pollen season was over. No lesions or secondary yeast infections. She ate Taste of the Wild kibble for the rest of her life, did well on it. and died at almost 12 yo from a non-related to her allergies brain tumor. I wish you luck with your quest to find relief from itching for your little boy.

CaseyKC

The little black and tan in my avatar is the little girl I discussed above. Her name was Libby and she is forever in my heart.

nparsons75

Hi everyone,
I have two miniature smooth haired dachshund one Black and Tan girl who is 6yrs and a red shaded boy who is 5yrs. The issue I have is with my boy dog who is constantly scratching his ears and making them bleed and is now losing hair on both ears. They are on a mixture of raw food and James well beloved kibble. Like i say I only have this issue with my boy dog does anyone have an idea what could be affecting his ears. Both are up to date with their vaccines and are flea and wormed regularly. When I asked my vet they said it could be a skin condition but I don’t want to keep going back to them and waste money. Can anyone help me plz?? Regards Julie x
Hi, we have a new 14 week old miniature dachshund with exactly the same issue. Did you get to the bottom of it at all?