Scared to death

zaniitee9

I'm new in this forum and introduced with my self just a few days ago, when we brought home our new furbaby
And I'm already looking for some support :(
This morning I was carrying my 8 weeks old baby out in the garden so he could do his business after waking up and then in happened. He moved so quick and just jumped out of my hands. I didn't expect it to come so he fell down. There was a big noise from him and before I picked him up I noticed he can't move his back legs!!!! You just can't imagine how I felt in that moment! I put him on my lap and let him rest for few minutes and I tried to calm my mind down. I put him then down on his feet to check out how bad does it look.And he was fine, he was moving like normal! It happened about 5 hours ago and he really looks like nothing would happen, he's walking normal, he's eating, playing and sleeping on my lap. But I'm still so scared and can't stop blaming my self how could I didn't see this coming, so silly and stupid
We have to go to see a vet after about 2 weeks so I will ask her maybe she can do xray and check out his back for me to get back my peace again. I hope so much he's really fine and he didn't get any injury :(

JPsMOM

I don't have any experience in the area since my Jasper is only about 12 weeks, but I can say that I have learned from reading and experience that no matter how diligent you are as a furparent, one thing you can't always account for is the unpredictability of your baby! Don't beat yourself up! The fact that you are keeping an eye on him and concerned at all shows love. Maybe it wasn't that he couldn't move but was scared to at first because it shocked him? Hoping all is well for you guys :) I can't speak for everyone else, but I don't mind in the least giving all the support I can give (even if I don't have an answer). I know that for me at least, this forum is the only place I have to go to talk to Dachshund people! (or... Well... People. Lol)

Sent via tapatalk

Nell

We all do the best we can to protect our dogs but sometimes accidents just happen. PLEASE don't beat yourself up over this.

The good thing is he seems OK now, I think he was just a bit stunned for a minute, so froze. All babies, dogs and kids are far more resilient than we think, they fall over and get into bumps and scrapes all the time. Its how they learn. I really think that if he had broken / damaged anything he would be either limping, showing signs of soreness or there would be some localised swelling.

They say cats have nine lives well I reckon dachsies have at least twelve so hang in there, keep an eye on him and try to not be so hard on yourself.

zaniitee9

Thank you for support, I really needed it :eek:
I still keep an eye on him and he's doing fine, I checked gently his back and he enjoyed it, so I'm quit sure there's no pain
Ahhh, I'm so relieved and I guess it could really be just a shock for Louis