Real Dachshund?

murman

I'm going to purchase this dachshund. He's younger than this picture. He's 3 weeks old. I'd like to know although I know that there's really no way to know, but trying to find out if it's a mix. Out of curiosity. As long as he's healthy I really don't care, but the cost is unbelievable. Does this look like a dachshund in your opinions? Thanks

Attachments

Doxie-Tees

Looks like a dachshund puppy to me. If you are looking for a pure bred, you can get a referral to a breeder from the AKC website.

murman

I’ve had 3, but only one puppy which was very long time ago. I guess I’d forgotten about the “puppy” look. He’s cute. I can’t pick him up until the middle of next month. I imagine he look different as he ages somewhat. As long as he’s healthy I won’t worry anymore. I can’t wait to get him. Thanks for writing back.

murman

I had an adult who was 6 or 7 and she passed away 2 or 3 weeks ago. I loved every dog I’ve ever owned, but this was a special one. My heart still aches

Sophiaman22

What a great looking little pup! Looks like a dachshund. Most breeders will provide information about the parents, but if your purching on line, it's better to be safe than sorry. Hope you enjoy your pup. Losing a pet (especially a dachshund) is heartbreaking. Sorry for your loss. Glad you're getting aonther one!

murman

Thanks, I’ve always liked the breed. They’re sad eyes cut deep. I did purchase him online. He’s in my home state, a couple of hours away. I’m hoping that this one will live as long as my first one did. 15 yrs, but then again, he might outlive me. I’m not a teenager lol. He won’t be ready for pickup till mid May. The wait is trying my patience. Thanks everyone, have a blessed day

CaseyKC

He looks exactly like a dachshund puppy to me. Ask to see his papers when you pick him up, but I don't think you need to be concerned. There is nothing in the world as precious and adorable as a dachshund puppy and he sure fits that description. Be sure to post a photo when you get him and maybe at monthly interval ??? (Please! We could all share in his milestones vicariously.) Best of luck and loads of joy with your new baby!

murman

I admit I was a little concerned. Pick him up on the 15th. I might ask for papers, but I want to see what mamma looks like for sure. My main concern is his health. I'll do my part, but from experience getting an animal who already has health problems is a sure fire setup for disappointment and grief. Here's the latest photo of him. Btw, it feels good to hear from all the people who adore dachshunds.

Attachments

murman

Not sure. I'll post a photo when I pick him up Friday. I'll let you know his age then. I'll try giving him Diamond Naturals for puppies to start with. Also I ordered a pre, probiotics mix that's a powder to add to his food. But I'm still wondering what should I feed him. On this subject I'm open to suggestions from anyone.

murman

I was feeding every dog I've had Pedigree in the can from Kroger. It has corn in it which I understand dogs find hard to digest. Also Kibbles and Bits as a dry dog food. I question both of these. Although I don't think this had any impact on why my last dachshund passed within 3 yrs. She was an adult and had various problems which her past owners didn't seem to take interest in. This one will be new from scratch. As I'm getting older I want to give him the best chance for a long life.

CaseyKC

I feed Annie Eukanuba small bits mostly, but switch on and off with Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream formula. Unfortunately, during this stay at home time she has put on some weight. When it is over, we can go over to the beach and she can run and dig holes in the sand. I know this is great exercise for her because she sleeps like a log for hours, (she even snores)but we haven't been able to go anywhere since this virus stay at home thing closed every thing down. She does not like to take walks and is scared of cars and other vehicles passing us, so walking is pretty much limited to going to her designated potty place. This girl needs to exercise and lose some weight.

murman

I thought I was picking him up Friday, but it’s Sunday. Lack of communication I suppose. I’m going to try the Diamond Naturals first, since I bought a big bag of it. I also bought a pre/probiotic supplement with an enzyme in powder form. I don’t know about that though. Pretty darn expensive. Sally, the one who passed was on the borderline of being obese. She preferred to eat than exercise lol. I’ll try the Wild Pacific Stream formula if the Diamond Naturals goes south with him.

murman

I pick him up tomorrow at 7pm. I hope. The last time she had a death in her family. If nothing else happens, it’s tomorrow. I can’t wait. I’m going to call him Mann. Actually after an old working pal. Let me see if I can post a photo. He was born on March 26th.

Attachments

CaseyKC

Oh he is so sweet. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you have a great "Gotcha Day." Keep us current and write details about your pick up, drive home with your new baby and bonding. I always found that singing silly songs in a calm voice using their name and your name (example: Dog's Name in the kitchen with Mommy, Dog's Name in the kitchen with Mommy, and he's such a good boy" helps with bonding. familiarizing the dog with the car and your voice etc. I had to drive from New England to FL to get my Annie. It took three days and two nights in motels and I nearly lost my voice from singing so much, but by the time we got home, we were so bonded you wouldn't believe it. Don't stop at doggy rest areas off the interstate because your baby probably hasn't had his Parvo and Rabies shots. If he has to go, us puppy pee pads in the trunk of your car so he won't pick up germs in a doggy rest area. Best wishes and don't forget to tell us everything about your trip and new baby.

murman

I got him! It was not nearly as long a drive as you had but still to long. About 2.5hrs. Then after we got there we had to wait another 45 min for her to show. My anxiety was up big time. I held him all the way home. He was as tired as I was I imagine from being cooped up in a car that long. When we finally made it home like around 11:30, the first thing he did was poop in the kitchen so I had to clean that up. I didn’t mind though as I was so happy to finally have him. Got to bed around 2:00 am. We both were beat. Lol. He’s like a snapping turtle, bites everything in sight lol. That was Friday. Saturday my niece, her husband and son came to spend Saturday with me along with my daughters and all the grandkids. Believe me, he was passed around! Everyone loved him! Today (Sunday) he’s a little more relaxed and alert. The whole affair was interesting. All I have to do now is keep him healthy and shower him with love. Not really a great photo, for that I apologize.

Attachments

murman

Just long imo. I named him Mann. A lot more energy than I anticipated. Although I have a chew toy for him, he’s biting everything, including me lol