puppies legs making popping sound like knuckles

tallulahsmom

Please someone help I have a 12 wk old mini female and when she walks or stands jumps pretty much most of the time her legs make like a knuckle snapping sounds she doesn't seem to be in pain she runs and jumps around like normal puppy. Is this normal is it just her growing? I'm a scared dogmom right now and I wld appreciate any feedback on this thank you..

GJBain

Please someone help I have a 12 wk old mini female and when she walks or stands jumps pretty much most of the time her legs make like a knuckle snapping sounds she doesn't seem to be in pain she runs and jumps around like normal puppy. Is this normal is it just her growing? I'm a scared dogmom right now and I wld appreciate any feedback on this thank you..
I don't have an answer but have you seen a vet and see what they think?

Mike

I was going to write the exact same question ... except I'm a dogdad. We have a 13 wk old red long hair and a 7 yo black/tan short hair (both mini's). I don't remember anything like this with the older dog but the puppy's legs snap and pop when she walks or when you pull on her rear legs. It seems like it is at the "knee" or in the ankle ... not in the hip. Also, our dog doesn't exhibit any pain what-so-ever so I'm hoping she just has to grow into her joints. She's going back to the vet on Wednesday so hopefully they confirm that it's nothing. Have you found out anything?

Thanks,
Mike

Mike

I was going to write the exact same question ... except I'm a dogdad. We have a 13 wk old red long hair and a 7 yo black/tan short hair (both mini's). I don't remember anything like this with the older dog but the puppy's legs snap and pop when she walks or when you pull on her rear legs. It seems like it is at the "knee" or in the ankle ... not in the hip. Also, our dog doesn't exhibit any pain what-so-ever so I'm hoping she just has to grow into her joints. She's going back to the vet on Wednesday so hopefully they confirm that it's nothing. Have you found out anything?

Thanks,
Mike
Well, I was hoping to get some feedback or info from this site but NOTHING. That said, I just brought my mini Dachshund in to an ortho and after a physical exam, he was all gloom and doom (floating patella) but after x-rays, he said everything looked quite good and let's see if she grows out of it. I hope posting this helps someone else !!!

Sylvia

Well, I was hoping to get some feedback or info from this site but NOTHING. That said, I just brought my mini Dachshund in to an ortho and after a physical exam, he was all gloom and doom (floating patella) but after x-rays, he said everything looked quite good and let's see if she grows out of it. I hope posting this helps someone else !!!
Hi. My five month puppy has the same thing. The vet can find nothing wrong. Did your pup grow out of it? An update would be appreciated.

I have not had that happen with my doxies but I have a rescued Maltese that has floating kneecaps that was determined upon vet examination. I think the scale for grading is 4 is the worst but I am not positive. He didn't think she needed surgery and was told to add fish oil to her diet. Vet told us either way, aging or surgery she will have arthritis when she is older.