pancreatitis. looking to ease the anxiety.

NjDoxies

for one, first post from a fellow dachshund addict :)

ok so here is the story. 2 and a half months ago our 5 year old double dapple
injured his back and by x-ray confirmed IVDD. He went through 4 weeks of crate rest on steroids and did not improve. We proceeded to have the surgery performed after an MRI further confirmed the concern.

Four weeks into his recovery he started to show signs of tremors from pain and began vomiting/refusing to eat. We took him in for a check-up and the animal hospital had performed an additional x-ray to check obstructions and performed blood work. Blood work came back normal and we were sent home with prescription dog food.

Two days go by and he showed no sign's of improvement (still vomiting/wont eat) We took him to our vet this time and he performed the blood work again. This time it showed abnormal and signs of pancreatitis. He gave him injections and sent us home with amoxicillin. We were advised on strict bland diet for a week (infant rice formula or white rice). Today the second full day, he is drinking water and has not vomited. That night he came home I gave him rice formula which he licked from my finger a few time. Yesterday morning he refused and last night I fed him approximately 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) by syringe which he was not please about but playfully wanted to chew on it :) This morning my wife gave him his meds and about 2 tablespoons.

So... to my real question to those who have had experience with this. Is it a slow process and should I continue or do I have to bring him back to the hospital? He has not vomited since the last vet visit and his tremors have decreased 10 fold. Last night he didn't shake at all.

We would have him as in-patient and we are doing what we can but this ordeal has put us 8 grand plus into the hole so far and we can only go so far.

No I would never put him down unless there was a chance he wouldn't make it, he is family.

I would like to add we have had great support from social media and even through donations. The dachshund family has been awesome so far :D

Penny

I just wanted to say Hi and Welcome from Canada.
I don't have any advice from personal experience but with that kind of money spent, I would feel like I could call the vet anytime and ask for help and advice as you continue under their care. I'm sure you have been. I know when Georgia was having her back episode, we talked almost daily, without me bringing her in each time. Just asking about this or that, giving updates.

I am sorry that your little guy is going through this.

We would love to see any photos of him and tell us a bit about him. There are other double dapple doxies on here too.

Nell

Hi and welcome from the UK.

Sorry I don't have any experience of this but hope your dachshund starts to get better soon. Best wishes.

NjDoxies

I just wanted to say Hi and Welcome from Canada.
I don't have any advice from personal experience but with that kind of money spent, I would feel like I could call the vet anytime and ask for help and advice as you continue under their care. I'm sure you have been. I know when Georgia was having her back episode, we talked almost daily, without me bringing her in each time. Just asking about this or that, giving updates.

I am sorry that your little guy is going through this.

We would love to see any photos of him and tell us a bit about him. There are other double dapple doxies on here too.
Thank you for the welcome. We have been calling, maybe i'm just looking for a different answer from experience. :confused:

Jager is a 5 year old double dapple with blue eyes. He normally walks with a light limp from arthritis and his eyes are very sensitive but as you can tell... We love him dearly. :D

Bailey is our trouble maker should be mini but loves food. She is 3 and incredibly playful, loves and wishes to be everyone's friend.

Attachments

babysis

If he is not vomiting and holding stuff down, you don't need to take him into the vet. It is a slow process to get them to eat again. They'll eat when they are ready to. I was feeding my girl by syringe because she wouldn't eat when she became extremely sick. Your boy probably doesn't like the food. Keep in contact with the vet and give updates to the vet. Always call and ask the vet or vet techs if you have a concern. Let him rest but every few hours introduce the food to him. Make sure he stays hydrated as well. Since he has had IVDD bring the food to him and let him sniff it. Goes as far as leaving it in range for him to take on his own without moving. From how it sounds, he is getting better, it will just take a while. :) Best of luck to you.

crystalclear1027

Hello and welcome from Pennsylvania!!!!So sorry to hear your little man is not feeling well. I have no experience with this type of illness, but I do know that when a pup is hungry, he will eat. Hang in there, you are doing your best for him and it will soon pay off. Sending good thoughts your way!!!

jarredfeet

So sorry to hear what your boy going through, I don't have any experience to share but sending prayers and healing vibes for his full recovery soon. Your pack is so adorable!