Old Style Dachshund

Gunner

Hi all,
I was at an event this weekend and there was a fellow with a huge dachshund. He was longer, taller, and more muscular then any I had ever seen. I didn't have a chance to query him too much because we all had to go somewhere. He did say he got him in Germany from a breeder that was breeding the old style dachshunds.
Does anyone know of this breeding program going on. I'd be interested in getting one of those big guys.

Hunter's Parade

It probably wasn't a dachshund at all. Not sure if I imagined the same thing you saw,but if he was as big as I imagined-how would he manage to go down the hole and hunt a badger?
This is the old type dachshund
and this
and here
Did you see something like that? I don't think any reputable breeder are breeding old type dogs,mostly because these dogs couldn't participate in shows.Many things that old type dachshund had are called as faults now,even as disqualifying faults,like front paws turned out,basically crooked legs,they must be strait now a days,old type dogs had different shape heads.I don't think any dachshunds club in Germany would let breed those dogs,they are out of standard now and I have never seen any reputable breeder breeding dogs like that.There are working lines,however,who tend to have longer legs and as they are working dogs they usually have more muscle on them

Gunner

Well I see canine snobbery is still alive and well in the world of pure breed owners. I came here for information and I seem to have found someone to make assumption based on a 3 line paragraph. I thought I left that in the show ring in 1992. In fact the dachshund in question resembles the pictures of earlier examples of the breed.
Don't assume I'm an idiot. I know the standard and the standard is for prissy show dogs that couldn't follow a blood trail or backdown a frisky rat.
Forget it.

GJBain

Well I see canine snobbery is still alive and well in the world of pure breed owners. I came here for information and I seem to have found someone to make assumption based on a 3 line paragraph. I thought I left that in the show ring in 1992. In fact the dachshund in question resembles the pictures of earlier examples of the breed.
Don't assume I'm an idiot. I know the standard and the standard is for prissy show dogs that couldn't follow a blood trail or backdown a frisky rat.
Forget it.
WOW. That is all I have to say is WOW!

Hunter's Parade

You might me shocked to find out my show dogs does hunt badgers,raccoons, wild boars and goes on a blood trial,oh,yeah and they manage to catch and kill a rat in not more than 3 seconds if given a chance,even 6 months old puppy from my last litter managed to catch and kill a loose,running rabbit. So,I'm sorry dude,but you are an idiot who has a pretty poor knowledge about dachshunds. You CAN'T get a dachshund type which does not exist. That dachshund you saw was a mix.
If you want a bigger hound look for one.If you would have been nicer I would have told you about one hound who are great hunters,looks very similar to dachshunds,but are bigger,on longer legs and are still used mostly for hunting in their native country.But,nope,sorry,I'm not going to help a guy like you. You just called my 4 awesome show dogs a cripple.

Arizona Matt

It probably wasn't a dachshund at all. Not sure if I imagined the same thing you saw,but if he was as big as I imagined-how would he manage to go down the hole and hunt a badger?
This is the old type dachshund
and this
and here
Did you see something like that? I don't think any reputable breeder are breeding old type dogs,mostly because these dogs couldn't participate in shows.Many things that old type dachshund had are called as faults now,even as disqualifying faults,like front paws turned out,basically crooked legs,they must be strait now a days,old type dogs had different shape heads.I don't think any dachshunds club in Germany would let breed those dogs,they are out of standard now and I have never seen any reputable breeder breeding dogs like that.There are working lines,however,who tend to have longer legs and as they are working dogs they usually have more muscle on them
My dog Shadow looks a lot like the 1925 model. He's got longer rear legs and a hump to his back.