Old man

Barron

My two babies are both 14 years old. One now seems very confused, (like me) and they both are slowing down quite a bit. They are in okay health, they stay thin but rarely run anymore. I know that sometime soon, I will no longer have their company, and it was suggested that I adopt a new puppy.

I don't know if a new puppy would aggravate my existing fur balls, or if it would make them more lively. Any thoughts?

I guess my vet was thinking that the inevitable transition to "no dogs" would be very difficult, and it might make sense to add the addition now.

Thank you all for any comments.

Penny

When we had just one old fella, we spoke to a breeder and asked if she had a female ready to retire. We brought Engli home at 4 years old, and she mothered and cuddled our old guy and he was very content. Best decision ever. The breeder also was very helpful in giving us suggestions how to make her transition easier, and was ready to take her back if it didn't work out.

Now that Engli is 14 1/2, I would not consider a puppy because I want to make her the queen of the castle. You know how much time and effort a puppy can demand, as they should, and maybe this is Engli's last summer, so she is getting the princess treatment. If it's her last summer, I will look back and say it was her best summer ever. Can't do that with a new puppy around who will get all the attention and likely harass the old ones when their peeps are busy. We do have Georgia who will be turning 7, so for us again, if we lose our seniors, there's a younger dog here for us to adjust to the loss.

Tootsie8700

You just never know... it could be a great thing for your dogs or a new addition could be a real aggravation to them...I don't think you would know until you tried. I think I am done with the puppy stage-- were I to add a third (which I might at some point) I would definitely go the rescue route. My 2nd is from DRNA and he is a doll- was a stray who ended up in a shelter and then rescue. Good luck