Novice owner, piebald dapple? double dapple?

nicjacks78

Hi everyone.
Excuse my ignorance! My husband and I just purchased another dachshund, we had two but one passed away a few months ago to her age, and our remaining baby (Wheezy! ) needed a new friend, so we finally got a new pup.
Both our passed dachshund, and Wheezy are solid black, and I never knew so much went into a dachshund puppies coloring.
Anyhow, how would I tell a double dapple? According to our new babies AK paperwork she is a piebald, but it is obvious she has some dappeling. She had gone to the vet, and been checked out, but should I be concerned? Is it possible for her to be dd?
She is symmetrically colored on her head, but it's not solid colors, it's colors with freckles of colors if that's understandable.

Attachments

Penny

Hi and welcome!
Congratulations on your new pup! I bet your house has been turned upside down with a youngster in the house. I hope you post more pics of the pretty baby.

She could be double dapple. Are all four paws white, and the end of the tail white? Piebalds have white there and if only, let's say, 3 paws are white, then not likely a piebald.

If you can post some pics of her standing, maybe when she's eating, so we can see both sides of her, that might give us more information.

I have 2 pie girls.

nicjacks78

Yes. Her paws (and legs in entirety) are all white, the tip of her tail is also white (the top 3rd of her tail that is)

Penny

OK. That doesn't rule out a double dapple though but good to know.
If I saw the parents and they were both dapples, certainly a double dapple puppy could happen. Sometimes red can hide dappling and if the breeder isn't aware of that, they may think it's a solid colored dog when it isn't. Then they get this puppy with all this white and say it must be a piebald when they actually did a dapple to dapple breeding. Then there's the oopsie breeding from another male. Kids have been known to open the wrong gate because 'he was crying real hard' and then mom didn't know that a breeding took place.

If the breeder has a website and the parents are on it, I can go have a look if you pm me.

Penny

OK. Without the photos, it's hard to say.
The best guess is that she could be a double dapple, and maybe not.
That's not much help, sorry. I hope she'll be fine and not have any health issues. So far so good.

babysis

Ahh how precious! I'd say that's a piebald. It's sometimes very hard to tell! Mine looked like a black and tan dapple but come to find out in her last year, that she was a double. Never knew that but I had her for quite some time! Penny is right, she will be fine and probably no health issues! Good Luck!