New pups

Mhyde

Hi I'm Matt I will be getting two male dachshund puppies on may 11th (they will be 6 weeks old) I'm looking for any advice I've done quite a bit of reading and I've purchased pretty much everything I can think of to get ready I'm looking for any advice on things I may not have thought about

CaseyKC

Hi Matt. Six weeks is way to early to separate a puppy from his mother. I would wait until the pups are at least eight weeks old.

Mhyde

That's actually not my call I agree and have always been told 8 weeks but that's what the couple I'm getting the puppies from are telling me

CaseyKC

I would not purchase or adopt a puppy from such an irresponsible breeder. Puppies learn manners from their mothers and important behaviors, such as no biting allowed. Small breeds, such as a dachshund, should stay with the mother longer to get some socialization and have non aggression ingrained in them by the mother. A responsible breeder would not allow a pup to leave the mother before a minimum of 8 weeks, often longer, up to10 or 12 weeks.

Penny

Hi Matt! Welcome!
I agree with the above posters. Those 6 to 8 weeks of age the puppy learns bite inhibition and a good breeder would be sure to keep them to 8 weeks. I would not support a breeder who doesn't have the best interest of the puppies in mind, first and foremost. This decision to let the puppies go at 6 weeks is very telling.

I hope that when you do bring the puppies home that you post pics often and tell us what new adventure they've been on. Did you have dachshunds before? How did you decide on the breed? Did you decide on a smooth, long or wire coat?

Mhyde

Thank you! It's actually not a breeder that I am getting them from it is a couple that I work with the guy and their dogs had puppies. I haven't ever had the breed before but have had many friends that have and they all talk about how great they are. I actually decided on getting the breed after doing lots of reading to find out what breed would actually fit me. Then I started looking and one of the guys at work said that his dog was actually about to have puppies and asked if I would be interested. I know that isn't the traditional way things are done but I have spoken with the vet of the parent dogs and he has also checked out the puppies. I didn't want to go in it blind so I've done quite a bit or research that's actually how I came across this page. I know 6 weeks isn't ideal but that is what the couple that has them want to do and ultimately that's not my call that being said that will not deter me from getting them as I have spoken with their vet and will be bringing the puppies in the week I get them to have them checked out again and started on a care plan. I am very OCD so routine and schedules work really well for me that is why I have been as diligent as I have. I look forward to getting them and will post pictures as I get them. The father of the puppies is a long hair and the mother is smooth. So one looks to be a smooth hair and the other a long hair. One will be a light tan not sure exactly on the color scale where that falls and the other will be Black and Tan the Black and Tan one will be the longer hair. I receive pictures and video about every other day from the guys wife of their progress. I'm also willing to hear any advice as this is the first time I will be getting two puppies at once I have read stories from both ends of the spectrum as far as getting litter mates. I know there will be challenges but I feel that the joy will far outweigh any negative.

GJBain

Our last Dachshund we got at 6 weeks old. I was young and dumb back then. Even though she lived a long life, 17 years and 3 weeks, she was an aggressive dog and not good around other people she did not know. Do yourself and more so the puppies a favor and make them, the owners, wait at a minimum of 8 weeks or DO NOT TAKE THE PUPPIES if the people cant wait the the proper amount of time. Our current Dachshund, we got at almost 10 weeks old and she is not aggressive at all. Not even the slightest bit. She was one of 13 so she was well socialized. You will be sorry if they turn out aggressive. Aggressive Dachshunds are way more aggressive then you can imagine. They bark at every little sound and bite anyone they feel thretened by, and they bite damn hard too. If you end up getting them don't say "we didn't tell you so. :mad:

Mhyde

Well thank you all for your concerns and the advice I've spoken with the couple I'm getting them from and will be waiting until 8 weeks. So that being said I would appreciate answers to my original question and that's any advice as far as getting two at once and please no negative replays please I'm asking for advice bc I'm getting them not on advice on if I should!

GJBain

Well thank you all for your concerns and the advice I've spoken with the couple I'm getting them from and will be waiting until 8 weeks. So that being said I would appreciate answers to my original question and that's any advice as far as getting two at once and please no negative replays please I'm asking for advice bc I'm getting them not on advice on if I should!
No one was being negative, we are Dachshund owners and know how aggressive they can be and it is not fun when they are aggressive and a stranger comes along. We were just looking out for you and the pups. With that being said, to answer your original question. Be patient. Dachshunds can be very hard to potty train. Keep an eye on both of them and take them outside every chance you can. Sometimes every hour may be necessary. I don't think it will be any different with 2 of them you just need to keep your eyes on both of them to see when they might need to go out that's all.