Hunters Mom

Hello Everyone, I am a new member. My husband and I are the proud owners of a 5 month old male, mini long haired dachshund. His name is Hunter and he is just the love of our life besides our kids and grandsons. Having a puppy is new to us since we have had cats for about the last 20 years. Hunter wears us out but in a good way. I look forward to learning from you all concerning the do's and dont's of raising this little guy to the best of our ability.

foxycharlotte

Welcome, just looking around the forums will help you with the do's and don'ts of dachshund ownership. If you have any questions just start a thread and someone will answer it.

Penny

We have a 6 month old girl, our first puppy! The others who came to live with us were all adults. Have you taken him to puppy classes?

When we take our puppy out we always have puppy kibble in our pocket to reward her if she's staying close to our side and not pulling forward. We ask strangers if they would like to give our puppy some treats, have her sit for them first. Everyone is happy to do that! lol Really socialize your little guy with all kinds of people and situations. I am very careful about big dogs. I want them calm when greeting because Jemma was scared of everything when we first got her.

Best wishes to you both and many happy years together!