new member with breed questions

Klavier_Profi

Hello all-
I am a new member to this forum and, as a result of which, I'd like to throw out a few things that will hopefully point me in the right direction, but first a little background: I live on a working 10-acre farm with my husband and 4 children. We have some cattle and a lot of fowl and my husband's retired narcotics/search & rescue K-9, Chance. Now that we're living in the country and Chance is retired, we are considering adding another dog to our mix. I'm waffling between a working Dobermann or a Dachshund for very different reasons. I'm only interested in working bloodlines as I've had working dogs all my life. The reason that I'm moving towards a working Dachshund is (1) that I'd like an animal that would be able to flush out, hunt, and help put a dent in the gopher population that has recently decided to take up residence in our vicinity and (2) with the kids I'm looking for something that would also make a great family dog with some stamina and would do well outdoors in the summertime.

I've done some research on the breed, but am having difficulty finding exactly what I'm looking for, which is information on and breeders of standard working dachshunds. There seems to be reams of information relating to miniature and long haired dachshunds which is not at all what I'm interested in. I'm keen to speak to a reputable breeder about working or European lines, but here's the caveat: is there such thing as standard working bloodlines that are also smooth coat? So far, all I've been able to come across is wirehair which I'm not as fond of for purely aesthetic reasons.

If anyone has any resources or names that they could throw out in the North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Minnesota area with regards to what I am looking for, I'd be forever greatful!

Thanks,
Joel

CaseyKC

I suggest you join either Dachshund Breeders or Dachshund Education for Everyone on Facebook. These are groups you have to join, not public groups, but there are many very knowledgeable Dachshund folks who are members and will be able to answer your questions and perhaps point you in the direction of a reputable, responsible breeder. I will tell you that dachshunds are not a 24 hour outdoor dog, they bond to their humans and do not do well in extreme heat or cold. They need to be family members and not kenneled outdoors. You may also wish to explore some of the working dachshund clubs such as Barn Hunt, Field Trials, and Earth Dog, also known as nosework groups. Some are AKC sponsored, but not all. Good luck, and if I can answer any general dachshund questions you may want to know, just ask.

Klavier_Profi

CaseyKC thank you for your reply and guidance! I should've probably been clearer in my initial post: there are no intentions of keeping any potential pup outdoors 24/7 it will definitely be an indoor with outdoor privileges dog :). I only made mention because I was looking for something that would be able to handle itself outside without having to be continuously on leash (hopefully). Again, I truly appreciate your reply and willingness to help guide and educate.