New member introduction

Hello all,

Happy to have found this place to explore and chat with other Doxie crazed people. I will soon have my first little pup in January and I am anxiously waiting to add to my household. I am a RN in MS and love dogs and cant believe I waited this long to have one of my own. I just got a condo and have started the task of puppy proofing rooms and prepping spaces. Advice or suggestions in this area would be great! Paul is going to be my mini Dachshund he is a Isabella short hair and I love him already. I was fortunate enough to get a chance to meet him a week after he was born and to meet his proud parents!

One question I have is I am concerned, every new puppy owner is, with house training. Especially since it will be cold when I get Paul. I have plans to install a doggie door to my patio and have a porch potty out there and I will try to train Paul to use that during the day while I am at work at his leisure and we will crate train at night. I hope to be able to get pictures of my set up on here when I get it all finished. Has anyone had success in training new pups to use a doggie door?

Thanks again to everyone and I enjoy reading your responses and meeting new folks.

Penny

Hi and welcome!!
Congrats on making the decision to get a doxie. I can't wait for photos of course when he finally arrives.

I've never had a puppy so I don't have any puppy house training advice.
How cold does it get there in January?

Thanks I plan on installing the doggie door today so I will post pictures of that soon and I have a picture of Paul I can share as soon as I get back home! January in MS can be hit or miss but the lows will be around 35-40 during the day and at night can drop to the 20s. Lately we had a hot streak this December I was on the beach yesterday with my toes in the water! 68 degrees and sunny!

I'm trying to decide what food to have Paul on when we get home from the breeder and I am interested in the Hill Science brand Vs. Royal Canine? Any experience with these as they both seem a little expensive? I can afford to splurge a little on his puppy food if I get enough feedback that its worth for his adult health. Thanks again everyone and very excited to hear back.

Just to clarify I haven't taken Paul home yet he's far to young. He's resting with mom and his siblings right now :) I just got a chance to visit him and see where mom and dad were kept. I can report all were happy and healthy!

Shaggy coat on a "short hair" ?

I got the best early Christmas present this year. I got some pictures of Paul from our breeder! Spoke with her today as well and looks like his coat is coming in thicker than his siblings and longer. She went as far to say that his coat looks a lot like her longhair dachshund pups coats.. I originally went after a shorthair boy but if Paul comes to me with a longhair coat I will be just as happy to have him! Anyone have an opinion from these pictures? I'm one happy Dad :D She didn't say if either of his parents had a longhair lineage but I have met them and both were short coats. Also, isn't he adorable!

Attachments

Last edited:

Penny

What a cute baby! Yes, if the hair on the ears starts to go wavy, that's the first sign of the pup being long hair. You'll know for sure soon.

I see that you've decided on a dilute color puppy. Are you familiar with color dilution alopecia? You can google it and do some reading. I am not fond of breeders who breed for dilute colors.

I have come across a few things about the color dilution online but I think we will cross that bridge if we have problem. The only thing that really worries me is that I live in a warmer area and I know these colors can sunburn easier. I will just keep that in mind on our outings. Thanks for the tip about the ears!

Last edited:

Penny

Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing a lot more pics and hearing what kind of mischief he's getting into.

Wishing you many happy healthy and loving years together.