Neutering? ??

Benjismom18

My Benji is 9 months old. I recently took him to the vet and they told me he should of already been neutered. I need some advice on the subject because I have heard from others that neutering has its pros and cons. Pros is he wont be marking, he will calm down, he wont be humping things like he is now. The cons are him gaining alot of weight, and that it is a big surgery that requires general anesthesia. Have any of your pups experienced anything bad or good from neutering/spaying? I would appreciate any advice please no negative comments. I know that if he is neutered itll make sure he has no puppies....

Penny

Hi there. I wanted to comment on the neutering causing weight gain. So does winter. lol As a pet owner we are responsible for managing their weight so if they become less active, we need to cut down the calories a bit. It's as simple as that. People claiming that the neuter caused weight gain, well, when he started to put on the extra pounds, they need to adjust the food. That said, my male was neutered, and he's a trim boy even though he's turning 13 soon. Balancing food and exercise is the key for their whole life time.

My take on it is that the hormones make the dog want to breed and they can become frustrated which means not just marking behaviors but damaging your home by inappropriate chewing and whatever. When out at the park he may have issues with other males. Neutering removes the hormones and makes them a better pet. Some dogs are naturally submissive and passive, but for most, neutering takes care of unwanted behaviors. Leaving it until later may mean that those unwanted behaviors become habits. Then after the neuter these habits have to be worked on. It's easier to neuter before the habits become bad habits.

I'm glad you're here asking questions and looking to what is best for your buddy.

Penny

Here's Beau outside playing ball. He's a senior and neutered for some time..

Staying trim. We're very lucky that our doxies are ball crazy.

Peanut55

Hi, my baby Peanut is 9 months old, and was neutered about 2 months ago. So far he has not had any weight gain. But I've also made sure he's exercising a lot and we go on long walks to try and keep him from gaining weight. My vet warned me about weight gain and said that I may have to cut back his food a little. Weight gain after neutering usually happens if owners do not cut back food and decrease exercise. My pup loves to fetch and go on walks and play at the dog park, so keeping him active has kept him from gaining any weight. So far I haven't had to cut back food.
Also, the anesthesia did not hurt my pup and he loved all of the attention he got from the vet after he woke up. He hated the cone (which is typical) but he got over it fairly quickly. I think it would be good to get him neutered because personally I did not want to have puppies. If your baby interacts with other dogs a lot that also may not be neutered, please think about if you can afford puppies and whether you can find them appropriate, loving homes.
~Alex