Most aggressive breed?!

vizzla

"In my experience, I can say that the study, published in an issue of the journal Applied Animal Behavior Science, a few years ago, reflects what I see on a regular basis: the breeds of dog that have a higher incidence of aggression, snapping or attempting to bite strangers, their own humans and other dogs tend to be small breed.

In fact, the top three, are in order — dachshund, chihuahua and Jack Russell terrier.

One reason that these smaller breeds don't make for noteworthy attention when it comes to any hostile behavior is clear: because of their size, a chihuahua won't inflict the same amount of damage as a larger dog.

As an aside, I notice all too often that the signs that a small breed dog is conveying that they are uncomfortable with a social situation — sometimes because of their babyish size and appearance — can be overlooked.

Do owners of these breeds have a tendency to not have the same criteria in mind when it comes to teaching them self-discipline as they might for a large breed dog, like training classes?".

I still think that most owners buy a small dog (dachshund) because its cute and dont reserch WHAT dogbreed that would fit THEIR way of life. Its so sad to see a huntingdog becoming a couchpotato :(

sherlock

I don't think it's completely true. I can believe it to an extent though, especially with dachshunds and chihuahuas. Their owners fall victim to small dog syndrome and treat them like babies instead of pets, and don't exert any dominance.

vizzla

I dont believe in dominance but beeing a good leader to your dog :)

Yes a little dog is just cute when it barks. I was worried that our neighbours was annoid by our dogs barking when left on our front yard. But they just laugh and say "Oh well they must do a great guardingjob" or "so cute". I dont think they would have said that if I had two rottweilers.

Penny

I can see that.
2 examples from my 3 doxies. A guy comes in to work on the house, the 3 dogs are behind a gate, out of the way. The guy walks over to have a look at them, they are barking their heads off, then he sticks his hand in there to 'give them a sniff'. A good way to lose your hand, I say. No one would do that if they were rotties.

Out on a walk, a lady says What a sweet doggie!! I pick dog up for her to have a look, and to my shock, she grabs Engli by the ears and smooch smooch smooch her on her face. Golly! A great way to get bitten in the face. This has happened to Beau and Georgia too. When I scold the person, who usually is an older woman, they reply, But I love dogs!! No common sense.

People seem to loose any sense of boundaries when it's a small dog. The dog gets blamed when it's stupid people.

crystalclear1027

When I see a dog or puppy that I am not familiar with, I always ask first about the dog before I approach it, I taught my kids that way and that's how people should be. I heard that dachshunds are known to be nippy and have a mean streak but I believe if they are well socialized with people and other dogs, this problem can be alleviated.

Dachloves201

You know, I've never really had this issue with any of my dachsies. They've never once been snippy to people. Stormi will get a little annoyed at another dog if he approaches wrong but he's never went after anyone or anyone else's animal. Stormi does have sensitive areas on his body such as around his ribs and he growls or can snap if you touch there in the wrong way which I don't blame him for, if someone is hurting you, you do what you can to stop it...that's his way of stopping it. None of my dogs have had aggression issues toward people if anything I wish I could be a bit more confident that they would protect if someone meant me harm... at this point I think they'd just roll over and try to beg for attention LOL!

The only aggression problems in my house are between Stormi and my Schnoodle which is trying to take over the alpha spot. They have quarrels around possessions such as certain bones and foods but I have nipped most of that in the bud with making them wait their turns for food and giving them separate play times with bones or stuffed animals. So I think it's all about the owner and how they guide the dog which plays into how they interact with other animals and humans. I do agree though that random people do need to be more cautious when they walk up to a dog no matter how small or cute it may be.

I can see that.

Out on a walk, a lady says What a sweet doggie!! I pick dog up for her to have a look, and to my shock, she grabs Engli by the ears and smooch smooch smooch her on her face. Golly! A great way to get bitten in the face. This has happened to Beau and Georgia too.

People seem to loose any sense of boundaries when it's a small dog. The dog gets blamed when it's stupid people.
My son's mother-in-law was bitten on the nose by PD because she scooped him up and tried to give him a kiss.

Not a good way to impress I laws.

HilyBee

My first dachshund (longhaired AND mini...can't get any worse) was only snippy towards large breed dogs that were too pushy and in his face constantly - which honestly I didn't blame him one bit. He was always very cautious meeting new people. He LOVED people, just very timid at first. Once they gained my stamp of approval/distaste he felt the same and either allowed them to pet him or hide from them. LOL

I also put on a very stern face whenever people tried to get near him forcing them to ask. Rude? Perhaps, but it worked 95% of the time. Right before he passed away, people were NOT allowed to pet him because of his immune disease so I was extra strict.

Our second dachshund (current baby) LOVES people. He always wants to approach them before I give him the approval. We are working on the "sit, stay, good" command sequence. He's getting very good at it for only 7 mo. old! He only approaches someone when I say "good" or "good boy". If they approach him, he gets excited and wants to lick their face off. LOL

Penny

Our second dachshund (current baby) LOVES people. He always wants to approach them before I give him the approval. We are working on the "sit, stay, good" command sequence. He's getting very good at it for only 7 mo. old! He only approaches someone when I say "good" or "good boy". If they approach him, he gets excited and wants to lick their face off. LOL
I've met doxies like that, when they were youngsters they enjoyed meeting people. Then after 2 yrs old, a switch was flipped in their head. lol Like they decided that they didn't want strangers in their face any more. I hope your baby is always as sweet and nice with kisses.

crystalclear1027

Augie is nine months old, every time we go to petco or petsmart, he has to greet everyone in the store. If the person has their back to him, he will whine til they turn around and make a big fuss over him and then we move on to the next person. Lily is shy, it takes her awhile til she warms up, Augie has taught her, and she has gotten better.

HilyBee

I've met doxies like that, when they were youngsters they enjoyed meeting people. Then after 2 yrs old, a switch was flipped in their head. lol Like they decided that they didn't want strangers in their face any more. I hope your baby is always as sweet and nice with kisses.
We take him to a dog park to help socialize him with other dogs and humans. It really helps. :D

Peanut

I've had many people come up to my dogs. My Mini longhair male is extremely friendly, definitely will lick somebody's face off. However, my Mini smooth female is a brat, to keep it clean. We've socialized the heck out of both of them, it seems, but my female is still not a fan of other people. We took her into Pet Warehouse, and she was in the cart, we had an employee walk up and stick his hand in the cart. Her ears went back, ducked down, tucked her tail, and started shaking. While his hand was moving closer I told him "I don't recommend doing that, she's very protective of us, and she will snap".. The employee of all people looked me in the eyes and said "It's okay, I'm good with dogs!" (eye roll) Needless to say, she snapped. Luckily she didn't get him, but came very close.

On another occasion, we were fishing and took the two with us. Somebody walked up and Peanut starting barking, warning them to stay back. What do they do? They keep walking up. I, again, told these people "I'd prefer if you stay away from her, she's very protective and she's been known to snap".. This person told me "That's okay, I have 5 dachshunds of my own at home"... Again (insert eye roll here).. I don't care how many dachshunds you've had, I don't care if they love you, I don't care if you believe "all dogs love you".. Nobody takes my warning to heart. They ignore me, and it sets my dog up for failure.

Only thing I can think is it's just her personality. I got both of these dogs within 3 days of each other - female first. They went everywhere with us - pet stores, family/friends houses, walking in public places, we let other people hold and handle them.. One turned out very loving towards other people, one didn't.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Best thing you can do with idiots like that is block them from your dog. I have people always trying to approach my bigger dog who is terrified of strangers and will bite. I've learned to just completely avoid by telling them he's afraid and aggressive so please don't even look at him.