Male VS Female?

Driven

Hi, I am new to the dachshund breed. I have been around them in the past, but don't know a ton about them apart from the research I have done. I am looking for a mini puppy right now and want to know your experienced opinions on males vs females. What are some key differences between the 2 genders? And if you like one gender more than the other, why?

I need a mini dachshund that will be easy to take places with me because I want to bring him/her almost everywhere with me so that is very important. I read and heard that females are not as outgoing as males are because they are more protective of their owners so they don't like strangers because of this. And I read that males are more demanding of attention and will test your roll as leader more often.

How true have you found these things to be? Please only reply if you have experience with both genders. Thank you!

Hi there! Choosing between Male and Female is kind of tricky, because every dog has his/her own personality so you can't guarantee anything based on sex. In my opinion, the difference in the two sexes is most noticed when they get older. Females tend to 'mature' faster, while Males will usually always act a little 'puppy-like' even when they are old men! My current Dachshund, Biggie, is a male and he can be a little protective of me at times. But because I socialized him with other dogs and people from a young age, he very rarely gets that way. The same goes for female dogs. If you train them well and from a young age, you shouldn't have to worry too much about them feeling the need to 'guard' you, and since you mentioned you want to take your baby everywhere with you the socialization is even more important.

Another thing I have noticed is that males are a lot more cuddly while females are more aloof.

(I gotta say it again sorry!- All dogs have their own personality, so don't take all of this too literally.) Good Luck with the future pup!

Hunter's Parade

I have never owned a male,sorry,but I still feel like I want to share my experience.Hope you forgive me :)
I currently have 4 females,from age 4 months to 3 years.Well,yes they are all "bitchy",they won't cuddle with strange people(except the 4moths old on of course,she loves everyone),they get very attached,even the littlest one is very attached to me,what surprises me!They won't leave room without me.As I am breeder I have met many males(while look for a proper male for my females),they are always all happy,licking my face,ready to jump in my lap and go with me everywhere.I can't imagine my females do that.They will never leave our yard without me,but I know they can if they want to,they once got out and run after me when I decided to leave them outside while I go to the shop.
They go in heat every six months,which is pretty annoying time,especially as they all go in heat at the same time and do...weird things together.
But male can be "on heat" all year long.They are ready whenever they smell a female on heat. If you spay/neuter,than this won't matter
For me it always be a female,first of all-I don't like the visual differences,it just bothers my-how can I rub it's belly if there is something hanging from it? Boys tend to mark in house,and I also don't like that they love everyone,I prefer dogs that won't go after every stranger that talks to them.

Penny

Boys tend to mark in house,and I also don't like that they love everyone,I prefer dogs that won't go after every stranger that talks to them.
I think if you talk to people who have intact males and females, you are more likely to get the marking in the house. Pet owners who spay and neuter at 6 months don't have this problem. The problem I hear about is not marking but the fact that the dogs don't like to go out in the rain, don't like -30.

I have had 2 males and 2 females. The males never marked in the house and they were happy to go outside to pee more so than the females. Actually with 2 females in the house right now, both spayed at a later age, the older one marks where the younger one has gone. The male couldn't care less. (I'm talking about outside)

I've had both males and females being very cuddley and cosy so you can't really make a generalization that males are more cuddley or females. I can't say males or females are more barky. So ask the breeder what the personalities are of the pups in the litter and go with that.

Out of my 4, the female I have is the most ok with people and other dogs. Just the other day I was walking her in the neighborhood and a couple with a Yorkie came up behind us. Georgia put the brakes on and wouldn't budge until they caught up to us and she was very nice to meet both dog and owners. Now that is not typical of the breed but there ya go. She got a lot of show classes so she walks nice on a leash and she learned that the big dogs are all walking nice on a leash too. She thinks everyone has treats in their pockets because of those classes so I carry treats for people to give her when we're out. So going to classes gives you a dog that you probably would love taking everywhere.

Georgia was very ok with the 2 biggest boys in class, 2 borzoi. They were calm dogs and said Hello politely and she was fine with them. From wikipedia..Borzoi males frequently weigh more than 100 pounds (45 kg). Males stand at least 30 inches (76 cm) at the shoulder.

I have never owned a male,sorry,but I still feel like I want to share my experience.Hope you forgive me :)
I currently have 4 females,from age 4 months to 3 years.Well,yes they are all "bitchy",they won't cuddle with strange people(except the 4moths old on of course,she loves everyone),they get very attached,even the littlest one is very attached to me,what surprises me!They won't leave room without me.As I am breeder I have met many males(while look for a proper male for my females),they are always all happy,licking my face,ready to jump in my lap and go with me everywhere.I can't imagine my females do that.They will never leave our yard without me,but I know they can if they want to,they once got out and run after me when I decided to leave them outside while I go to the shop.
They go in heat every six months,which is pretty annoying time,especially as they all go in heat at the same time and do...weird things together.
But male can be "on heat" all year long.They are ready whenever they smell a female on heat. If you spay/neuter,than this won't matter
For me it always be a female,first of all-I don't like the visual differences,it just bothers my-how can I rub it's belly if there is something hanging from it? Boys tend to mark in house,and I also don't like that they love everyone,I prefer dogs that won't go after every stranger that talks to them.
I agree with the whole happy and love strangers thing! Its more male than female totally! But my male dachshund was neutered at 6 months, and he has never tried to mark anything. He just squat-pees as I call it, just like a female! In fact, most Vets recommend that Dachshunds are neutered at 6 mo because of that. I also know this to be true with many other male Dachshunds from obedience class and friends and family!

He does RARELY hump, and its usually when he gets playing too rough and gets overly excited, but I would say it happens a couple of times a year if that!

So in all, you can really curb all of those habits like marking and humping with an early sterilization! (Not too early mind you, I wouldn't go earlier than 4 mo.) :)

KBFATBOY98

I've got a 2 1/2yr old female a 8mo old male and a 7mo old female. All 3 love to cuddle but when the male is done he's done! My oldest female is the most outgoing but I'm guessing that's due to her age. She'll bark at people outside the house but if she's on a walk or we take her to the Farmers Market she acts like a perfect lady, she let's people pet her and isn't afraid of other dogs. Maybe we just got lucky with her. We'll see how the little ones act when we take them,

SnuggleBabbies

Funny, because in my experiences with many doxies, the females usually go up to people more, and pee on the floor more, and the males won't go up to people and are better house trained. My males have always been WAY more of a 'one person' type of dog.