Let's liven up this Forum.

Tikki

The first time I saw Tikva - it was on a Tuesday and I was told she was only three-weeks-old and I would have to wait another two weeks [she would still have been too young].

On the Friday it was "come and get your puppy now" with the unspoken "or else".

Tikki

I saw her with her 100% Doxie mother - very overweight - with the eight puppies. I know that no way would I let anyone near the Griffon puppies I used to breed but this was an accidental mating and the people had no idea.

I had well washed my hands before I went into where momma and puppies were, invited momma to come say hello and asked her if I could see her babies.

Normally I would not have gone near them let alone touched them, but that was how I ended up with an unweaned half Doxie. Who I love so very very much.

Last edited:

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Milo and Molly playing
image.jpeg
Milo Looking Good!
image.jpeg
Milo well...... Just being Milo lol
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Tikki

The more photographs of pure-bred Doxies I see the more differences I see between them and my little cross-breed. Similarities yes, but those are mainly in her structure. I am trying to learn as much as I can about pure-bred ones as I want to know whether her behavior is normal for the breed or if it is just Tikki being Tikki.

Tikki

OK, an example. If Tikva sees or hears a car stop outside, she shoots out and barks. My epi girl used to do that as somehow she knew I am deaf. Not Deaf but deaf as in hard of hearing, so she was almost acting as a hearing service dog. She would tell me if the telephone rang and I had not heard it.

Tikki also barks if someone walks down my ramp/path, although she has different barks for someone like my neighbour, who she adores, people she just knows, or total strangers. I can tell by which bark she uses which it is.

Someone came in about an hour ago [I have problems with rats] to put down stuff - making sure he did not put it anywhere near she could get, and assured me that if a rat ate some it would quickly find the nearest open space, ie in the middle of a floor, before expiring. Tikki did not know him and initially barked like mad, but the fact that I had let him in was OK by her, and she followed him around as much as she could [she was on her tether], without a murmur. As she is in her crate at night and on her tether during the day [so she can go out and come in when she wants] I am not worried about a dead rat or two on the floor. It will be grab the nearest picker-upper and chuck it in the bin.

I do not know if this is a Dachshund trait or what. My epi girl always warned me but once she saw I was happy letting someone in she just ignored them after that. Do you think Tikki was following him maybe to protect me?

Last edited:

Tikki

:oops: Typo - I wrote "chuck it in the gin" when I meant "in the bin"! Unfortunately both "g" and "b" are typed with the index finger of my left hand, the one the rat got hold of on Sunday - well, that is my excuse! I really should look at the monitor to check what I am typing but I usually sit here and look out of the open door while I am typing.

I think that is what is known as multi-tasking...

Our dachshunds are very good at alerting us to the events outside the door ... Too good.
We know the trash truck turns onto our street (bark on) and when they have moved on to the next block (bark off).
Like Tikka, they greet every one at the door with barks, and will continue to bark until we have demonstrated that the person belongs.
Barking is definitely a dachshund trait.

Tikki

Barking and h-o-w-l-i-n-g when she hears the ice-cream van chimes, which was murder until the children went back to school last week as there were about six different vans so were backwards and forwards nearly all day [and evening]. Luckily she ignores the binmen who come twice a week at some unearthly hour. My epi girl could hear them from way up the road and always woke me by jumping up and down on the bed and barking until they had gone. And if she saw them during the day... the whole Moshav knew the binmen were around!

Tikva is definitely more Dachshund-like, like her dam, rather than her Minpin sire [horrid little yappers - not my favourite breed] although she is nowhere near the size of her dam - a very large [and obese] Standard Doxie. But I do wish she would not scatter her toys all over the place, especially outside! Oh, and if a toy does not have a squeak she blames me!

Nice to see you here my friend. :)