Is He A Tweenie??

Doxmom

Oh, no! My 'miniature' dachshund weighed in at the vet's last week. He weighs 11.2 at (almost) ten months old. Both his parents are true mini's. Since he's over 11 pounds, will he now be considered a 'tweenie'? Do you think he will grow more or is he pretty much at adult size?

Attachments

nola

11 to about 15lbs is a Tweenie. I think he'll gain 1-2 more pounds. You can never tell what size pup the parents will throw! Nola's mom was 16lbs and her dad was 14lbs, and she's 8lbs soaking wet!
P.S. He's got a very nicely structured head! Not too roman nosed, but not overly foxy. I don't like the super foxy noses on the boys, but it looks good on the girls. I like how you can tell he's a boy without, um "checking" ;)

Doxmom

Aww, thanks, Nola's Mom!! I was hoping he'd stay relatively small, travel-size. But of course, I'm hopelessly in love with him, however much he grows. I guess I wasn't aware that a mini-sized Mom & Dad could produce a tweenie..

Yes, he's so handsome. And a real cuddler, too. It's hard to keep from spoiling him!! :eek:

babysis

I wouldn't know if he would grow anymore in length but he might gain a a pound or two. Baby was like that when she was a pup and both parents were true mini's as well. We thought she was going to grow more because around 10mos. she was 11lbs. (And her paws looked huge). Now she is 12 years old and her weight fluctuates from 11-12lbs.

garyd

Oh, no! My 'miniature' dachshund weighed in at the vet's last week. He weighs 11.2 at (almost) ten months old. Both his parents are true mini's. Since he's over 11 pounds, will he now be considered a 'tweenie'? Do you think he will grow more or is he pretty much at adult size?
My Maui's parents weighed 9# & 10#. At his last trip to the vet, he weighed 16#. Definately a standard size. Genetics are funny.

PD was supposed to be a minnie, and grew into a tweenie.

Henry was supposed to be a minnie, and grew into a standard.

Frank was two when we got him. He was supposed to be a minnie dachshund and has grown into a minnie mountain goat.

:cool:

Doxmom

Oh no! A mountain goat? I'm thinking Bree is a MGIT!! (mountain goat in training)!

I'm amazed at the different sizes of off-spring from mini-sized parents. Well, just another thing I'm learning about this beautiful breed. I'm hooked!!!:D

Steph

Arelus' parents were minis, but he's a small standard weighing in at 16#. As long as you love them I don't think it matters what size they are. They all cuddle the same way :)