Introduction and question

Mr Sheffield

Hi everyone, My wife and I recently got a miniature dachshund, well my wife did, and at first I wasn't on board but how could you not love him . Anyway, he's 6 months old and quite a fussy eater, but he seems to love the dried leaves on the bottom of our agave plants. He doesn't eat them, just drags them out and chews on them. Never seen him show any interest in the green ones, just the really dry ones. He doesn't show any I'll effects from it but just wondering if it's something we should be worried about? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LittleSophie

Hi everyone, My wife and I recently got a miniature dachshund, well my wife did, and at first I wasn't on board but how could you not love him . Anyway, he's 6 months old and quite a fussy eater, but he seems to love the dried leaves on the bottom of our agave plants. He doesn't eat them, just drags them out and chews on them. Never seen him show any interest in the green ones, just the really dry ones. He doesn't show any I'll effects from it but just wondering if it's something we should be worried about? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hello,

Congrats on the new pup!

I wasn't sure about agave but I found a link that states:
"The University of California lists agave as mildly toxic. The succulent will likely not kill your dog, but it does contain tiny, sharp oxalate crystals that will burn and injure your dog's mouth and throat, including all soft tissues. Swelling is not uncommon."

It also states that the "juices" of the plant are what causes the problems. So, the dryer leaves are probably less harmful but I guess better to be safe than sorry.

Enjoy your new dog, dachshunds are great!