House Training older doxie...

Murphy'sMom

I recently acquired a 2 year old male dachshund. From what I understood he has spent the majority of his 2 years outside :mad:. He is not house broke at all and when I try to kennel him at night he cries all night long and will even pee in the kennel (and it is not a large kennel.) He also begs to go outside constantly (even after I have taken him out to potty.) It is like he is so used to being out that he prefers to be out. He is also not neutered (which I plan on fixing soon.)

Does anyone have any tips on how to get him used to being inside and doing his business outside? Is there also a way I can make him want to be inside, so he is not begging constantly to go out. Every dachshund I have had in the past I got as puppies and house trained them but he seems to be a little more stubborn and stuck in his ways...:(. He really is a sweetheart tho and I know he will learn but I just need tips!

Thank you!!

jzami69

We just got our 5th Doxie, a one-year-old who had doggie door access. Never been on a schedule; never been on a leash. Luckily our yard is fenced and I work from home so I've started letting him out every hour and plan to go to two, then three and incorporate some leash work. But, as vizzla said, we may have to go back to square one and crate train him. I am SO not looking forward to that.