Hi everyone!!!

jazzaria

Well as we can all tell I am new here.....

I am owned by a beautiful double dapple mini dachshund named Spekkle! She is the most loving little pain in the ass I have ever met (next to my kids)!! Spekkle is 4 months old... And she is both deaf and has some slight vision impairments.... She is also my first dog that I get to raise... My parents have always had some sort of a lab while we were growing up, however we never had to deal with housebreaking or any other issues that may arise as my parents did all of this...

I have had Spekkle for almost 2 months now, and I got her from a family that got her when the mom had a misscarriage and then decided that they could not keep her...

Spekkle loves to cuddle, and she plays fetch, and has learned to sit on signal in about 2 days... But she refuses to be housetrained! So as life has it I love her to death, and some days wanna strangle her... I got some amazing tips from Sara, so with luck we will have some sort of breakthrough with this.... I hope... Cause I would sure love to have my little snuggle buddy back in my bed( she piddled in the bed and has since been crated until this issue gets resolved)

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Mouse and Boo both came from WA state. Boo from Seattle and Mouse from Spokane. There seems to be a real problem with Doubles from that area.

Are you making any headway with the housetraining yet?

You need to post pics, I'd LOVE to see a big pic of her!

jazzaria

I will have to get some pics of her with a regular camera... These were with my phone...
I had thought we were making some headway with housetraining, as she had even used the potty pad a couple of times... But as it is turning out it seems we are where we started.... No matter what the praise and treats and startling her when I catch her... Keeping her leashed, or in her crate... None of it seems to matter.... And I know it does not help that I am at work during the day...

She will go out and potty everytime we go outside, and the second we come in the house and I let her loose she finds a spot and piddles or poops even if just a trickle or tiny drop.... At first I was thinking she smelled something from a previous accident but she is never in the same spot... And if I put her in her crate she will potty almost instantly in her bed or towel or blanket then lay in it... If she poops in it she then will step in it or roll in it... It is like she doesn't care, or she wants to be covered in her own mess.... When she does it on my floor she does the same thing... If I don't catch her in time she will lay or roll in it... And I feel bad because she is getting about a bath a night because of this... And I know eventually this is going to wreak some havoc on her skin....
I have tried leaving her loose during the day but I come home to such a mess from her using the potty somewhere and walking and rolling in it that it has literally taken me a couple hours on cleanup..I have tried to use a small crate as the vet reccomended with just enough room to lay, stand and turn around... But she makes a strange mess in these... So I switched to a larger crate and put a blanket,towel, or bed in there with enough room to have a seperate potty side but the mess from that is huge and I have to change the bedding constantly as I come home and everything is covered in her mess....when we go out now she pottys( a big puddle and poop) comes in and within a few minutes piddles and poops a super tiny amount, steps and rolls in it and if I don't catch it I spend the next 30 mins to an hour cleaning both the house and Spekkle..... I am hitting a point of absolute frustration with her... And I feel bad because it is hitting the point where spending time with her is not as enjoyable, because I am always waiting for the next mess, she can't be on furniture because she will at the very second she move off our laps and instantly piddle even if it is just a drop.... And it is some days just easier to contain the mess in the crate then I can spend a few mins cleaning the crate and bathing the dog.... And cuddle with her...and play a while but if I can't be directly on top of her a lot of times I put her in back in her crate.....

Grr....

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
That does not sound like normal behaviour at all. Really not normal (and def. not related to deafness). You may want to consult a vet or a behaviourist.

jazzaria

I have talked to the vet on a regular basis, all in the office say she should out grow it.... and that in part is due to her being deaf....But I find that hard to believe... And trainer just say to keep working with her...so we keep trying different things, and I am always open to suggestions.... I was just reading something that said to use a small room like a bathroom instead of the crate.. start by giving her her bed and several puppy pads down and see if having more space will help, maybe just being in the crate is too small and making her nervous..... It's work a shot... Also was given the idea to use newspaper along with puppy pad to cover the pads after she uses them, so they still smell?

jazzaria

So much for putting Spekkle in the bathroom.... I put her in there and put up a baby gate.... And left the house to take the kids to school... Spekkle managed to climb over the babygate, got into a bedroom and pooped on the carpet then rolled and stepped in the poop and tracked the bedroom carpet!

I am starting to be upset with this baby!