Hello from Jon

raf

Hi everyone,
Thank You all for having us.
We have had dogs and all sorts of wonderful animals for over 30 years.
We have had mini doxies for about 25 years.
My wife and I are looking forward to meeting and learning as much as possible.
We both adore our two doxies, Lucia Maria, and Daisy May.
We have alot of experience with a doxie with paralysis and an atonic bladder, and UTI's.
We are always learning. Hope we can share as well as learn here on this forum.
Thanks again for having this forum.
Jon and Terry

Lynn

Welcome Jon and help me if you can

Hi, I am new here too and have put deposit down on a mini smooth. I am so concerned that I am going to be in for alot of heartache that I am really having a hard time making up my mind weither to get her or not. I am seriously questioning the ethics of breeding such a dog. I have read that 1 out of 4 will develop IVDD. But on the other hand I am so drawn to them and really want one. Please help me decide
Lynn

Hi, I am new here too and have put deposit down on a mini smooth. I am so concerned that I am going to be in for alot of heartache that I am really having a hard time making up my mind weither to get her or not. I am seriously questioning the ethics of breeding such a dog. I have read that 1 out of 4 will develop IVDD. But on the other hand I am so drawn to them and really want one. Please help me decide
Lynn
Lynn, I've had 5 of these wonderful little dogs and no back problems I am happy to say. They can't be allowed to jump off furniture. I have one that thinks he's superdog. All he needs is a cape. My other's are trained to stay, whether on the ottoman or the bed, for us to lift them. It can be done.

I'd check with your breeder to see if there is any history of her dogs having back problems.

Dodger's List has a ton of info on IVDD. May be worth your time to check that site.

raf

Lynn
Hi Lynn,
We only had three of these wonders, and only Daisy , at 2 , developed spinal problems, requiring 2 surgerys.
She has been unable to use her rear legs since about 10.5 years, she is 13.
We were lied to by the breeder, and it was our lack of due diligence that we were taken advantage of.
They are the best little sweeties. I would do exactlybwhat you were just advised.
Ever since Daisy's surgery, we do not allow the lucia to do stairs or jump.
We sleep with them on a mattress on the floor, mostly because of Daisy.
Those little doxies are just the cutest.
raf

Attachments

Since you are thinking of getting a smooth coat the fur on foot pads should not get long. I have long hairs so feet are always kept trimmed so they don't slide on floors. Also keeping nails trimmed short is a big help. No stairs either.

Lynn
Forgot to mention to get a harness. I don't use collars. A harness is much easier on backs.

Lynn

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and info! I have three other dogs as well and wonder how much " playing and wrestling" doxies can do and if I should need to worry about this as well? Also, I would teach her to use a ramp off the bed...but am concerned that she may try to follow the others that jump off rather then go down the ramp? What if she should fall off the bed? I am so worried about all the things this breed is plagued with but I sure do want to have a little smoothie to share my life with.