Hair Loss/Dry Skin

walterthewiener

Hi All, so I'm new to this website, but I figured since I have a dachshund this would be a great way to get tips and learn different things from other owners! Walter is a 10 month old short haired mini dachshund. A few months back he had to go through a few boughts of medication for diarrhea he picked up from a dog park. All seemed to be going we'll but I noticed the skin on his lower back was becoming dry in patches and his hair was gone. We took him back to the vet to do a skin graph and they didn't find anything. The vet gave me some anti-fungal cream, and explained it could have been because his immune system was low due to the diarrhea medication, and this is just an out come of that. His hair still hasn't grown back and he does still have some dry patches. I give him flax seed oil in his food everyday to try and help but I haven't noticed any progress. Has anyone else had this issue, or know what this is?

Attachments

GJBain

Hi All, so I'm new to this website, but I figured since I have a dachshund this would be a great way to get tips and learn different things from other owners! Walter is a 10 month old short haired mini dachshund. A few months back he had to go through a few boughts of medication for diarrhea he picked up from a dog park. All seemed to be going we'll but I noticed the skin on his lower back was becoming dry in patches and his hair was gone. We took him back to the vet to do a skin graph and they didn't find anything. The vet gave me some anti-fungal cream, and explained it could have been because his immune system was low due to the diarrhea medication, and this is just an out come of that. His hair still hasn't grown back and he does still have some dry patches. I give him flax seed oil in his food everyday to try and help but I haven't noticed any progress. Has anyone else had this issue, or know what this is?
Our 1 year old standard who is the exact same color as your Walter has thin hair on her back but no where near as bad as that. I am worried that it will get worse. Ours also has basically no hair on her neck either. We have had her to the vet a couple times. This last time he did blood work and said everything is perfect (Tyroid was the possible concern). He said next would be a shin biopsy which I really dont want to do because he is 99% sure it is just hereditary . I see you are from Canada where about in Canada? Where in Canada did you get Walter from? Reason I ask is because ours came form Canada too.

walterthewiener

Our 1 year old standard who is the exact same color as your Walter has thin hair on her back but no where near as bad as that. I am worried that it will get worse. Ours also has basically no hair on her neck either. We have had her to the vet a couple times. This last time he did blood work and said everything is perfect (Tyroid was the possible concern). He said next would be a shin biopsy which I really dont want to do because he is 99% sure it is just hereditary . I see you are from Canada where about in Canada? Where in Canada did you get Walter from? Reason I ask is because ours came form Canada too.

We got Walter from a breeder in Calgary who has been breeding mini dachshunds for many years. Its upsetting because as a puppy he has the nicest shineiest coat. His did progressivly get worse, I'm going to make a follow up appointment with th vet in the New year and hopefully get this figured out!

GJBain

We got Walter from a breeder in Calgary who has been breeding mini dachshunds for many years. Its upsetting because as a puppy he has the nicest shineiest coat. His did progressivly get worse, I'm going to make a follow up appointment with th vet in the New year and hopefully get this figured out!
Keep me posted on what you find out and I will do the same. Ours was the same thing, beautiful puppy and getting progressively worse. Very discouraged at this point.

Inkeri

Have you checked allergies? And food-allergies? My long-haired has food allergies (rice, pork, wheat) and when he was at his worse his skin looked a little bit like that. He had infections all over his body. :( If nothing else works, I'd consult the vet about starting elimination diet.

walterthewiener

Any update from your vet visit?
SO sorry for the delay in the response. I haven't checked this website in a while. So the tests came back and the diagnosis was Demodex with mild Seborrhea. So we have him now on Ivomec, and Antibiotics (for the flareups when he breaks out in bumps) So far so good, i've noticed his hair is improving. The only frustrating party is the Ivomec medication, the dose starts low and every week increases because if he takes a dosage too large for his size/weight it can have some nasty side effects.

SO the bottom line is it's treatable. I hope this helps you.