General coat development in long haired dachshunds

WaterMarked

i have a girl whose sire was a smooth that carried for long and her mother was a long hair all of the pups were long hairs.

i was told to baby the coat feed a raw diet keep her nice and cool, don't leave her in the heat.

well at 8 months nearing nine i am starting to see more hair on my girl but primarily on the ears o_O

she has a dog door to our smaller yard so she can go in and out as she pleases and AC in the house.

what do YOU do to baby a coat?

how does the coat typically come in for you and when in your opinion do they generally have the full adult coat? (i know it can vary but typically not past a certain extent)

4 months 18 days old:

7 months 7 days

8 months 6 days

*sry on the last one i was using it in a class project for a cut out*

thought it would be interesting to discuss coat development and how you baby it and have seen it develop.

Inkeri

I'm not actually sure when they have their full adult coat, but I can already see differences in my 2 standard longhaired dachsies. Here's some pics, the merle is about 18 months in the pic and the black and tan is 12 months in the pic. I don't think my youngest (the black and tan) will have as much hair as my older dachsie!!

I think you can see how their coat turns out when they're about 2 years old, but even after that it might change because of age, diet etc.

Attachments

BelowHylan

She is adorable!!!!!
As per my breeder, the coat does not fully develop until they are 16 months. Also, altering the dog would effect coat development.

Not to take it off topic, but i would love to hear more about raw feeding. When I was getting ready for my puppy I did a ton of research and was all ready to go but got cold feet and went with Blue last minute.... I know she would take to raw very well but just a little scared. Are you supplementing? Are you freezing/defrosting prior to feeding? I appreciate your input!

WaterMarked

np

She is adorable!!!!!
As per my breeder, the coat does not fully develop until they are 16 months. Also, altering the dog would effect coat development.

Not to take it off topic, but i would love to hear more about raw feeding. When I was getting ready for my puppy I did a ton of research and was all ready to go but got cold feet and went with Blue last minute.... I know she would take to raw very well but just a little scared. Are you supplementing? Are you freezing/defrosting prior to feeding? I appreciate your input!
sure i don't mind answering some Q and A i moderate for a group on Facebook all about it called "Raw tips" they can certainly help. i don't want to talk about it TOO terribly much on this thread so we can stay on the topic of coat development for anyone looking. not being mean swear *crosses heart*

about RAW:

i feed prey model diet, not cooked meals or vegetables.

2-3% of the ideal body weight should be fed i feed a bit more because she is young and growing and the extra protein should help with coat development.

we usually say its best to start with chicken and do so cold turkey.

as a mix of kibble and raw together tends to end in stomach upset. (exploding butts and gas)

the first few weeks are "detox" meaning all the fillers and additives will be leaving the system and being replaced with good raw materials.

if a dog won't immediately eat the meat you wait it out if its down for an hour and they don't eat it pick it up and try again later when they are hungry they will eat and realize its not some crazy alien slab in the bowl.

Prey model raw consists of 4 "ingredients."
80% meat (muscle meat, heart, tongue, lungs, tripe, intestines, etc.)
10% edible bone (no bone= liquid poop)
5% liver
5% organ (squishy, secreting organs like eyes, brain, spleen, kidney, pancreas, testicles, sweetbreads (thymus))

its good to remember when feeding bones , nothing cooked and nothing your particular dog would have an easy time swallowing whole. and never ground bone as the point is to clean the teeth and strengthen jaw muscles.

sometimes you can find RAW sellers that sell all the ingredients of a raw meal in bulk.

i usually add fish oil in with my meals. i DO defrost but i also pad the meat to get rid of extra moisture as a friend of mine has a dog with a weak constitution and doesn't seem to handle defrosted meat as well when damp.

i hunt and the meat i feed from wild game is frozen for a few weeks to kill off parasites. IF there is a case of a disease in your area such as Trich its important to know WHAT kind as one can be killed with freezing and the other requires that you turn your oven to 350 let it reach its temperature then place the pig meat in the oven i usually make sure the meat reaches the correct temp all the way through. domestic pig when salted is not something to feed.

again feed whole food not ground its better for the jaws.

red meats ideally are what you should primarily be feeding.

if you need more help msg me and i will send you the link to our group we have thousands of members just learning =]

WaterMarked

I'm not actually sure when they have their full adult coat, but I can already see differences in my 2 standard longhaired dachsies. Here's some pics, the merle is about 18 months in the pic and the black and tan is 12 months in the pic. I don't think my youngest (the black and tan) will have as much hair as my older dachsie!!

I think you can see how their coat turns out when they're about 2 years old, but even after that it might change because of age, diet etc.
so i may very well see a major difference by 18 months. beautiful dachsies. yes genetics as well as diet and environment play a huge roll. do yours have free run of indoors and outdoors? what are you feeding?

BelowHylan

Thank you so much! I belieeve I might belong to the group as well, but I am no longer in fb.

I have read a lot and you have confirmed everything for me as well. My aprehension is parasites... I think I will just have to jump in;-)

Inkeri

so i may very well see a major difference by 18 months. beautiful dachsies. yes genetics as well as diet and environment play a huge roll. do yours have free run of indoors and outdoors? what are you feeding?
Unfortunately our dachsies can't come and go as they please. We have a back yard, but our neighbour has a angry doberman, so I'm not comfortable letting them go out without checking the neighbours yard first. ;) They get their off leash-time in dog park and in the forest nearby. :)

I feed them kibble (grain free), eggs, raw meat etc.. Our older dachsie is on a special diet because he has food allergies. :(