Does your Doxie have mange? New treatment

alexjanic

Hello,

I wanted to share an experience that I had recently. My baby Nomi was diagnosed with mange last year. I ended up taking her to a University clinic, and the vet prescribed us Nexgard (afoxolaner). Its actually a flea and tick medication, but recent clinical trials have proven it to be very effective against mange. My little baby took one pill a month for three months, and by the end of the first month it was gone. I am not sure if you can get a generic, or if Afoxolaner is made by other companies as well as Nexgard.

My mom is fostering a doxie that is COVERED in mange and after a single pill his hair is starting to grow back. Obviously do the research yourself and talk to your vet (its prescription only) but after reading some posts about how expensive it was for people to deal with mange I thought I would share.

Tikki

There are two main types of mange. Demodectic and Sarcoptic, both frequently described as canine scabies. However, while Demodectic mites cannot be transmitted to humans or to other dogs, are usually transmitted from mother dog to puppy.

Sarcoptic mange is a highly contagious skin disease found in dogs, caused by the Sarcoptes scabies mite. These mites will burrow through the skin causing intense itching and irritation, and can be transmitted to other dogs and to humans.

As yet I have not looked into whether there is a generic version of Afoxolaner, which appears to be the main treatment for mange in Nexguard, as I use Frontline Spot-on for fleas and ticks and to the best of my knowledge none of my dogs have ever had mange mites. I am also very careful as to what I use as my previous dog was epileptic and many of these treatments are either seizure triggers or can cause an underlying but not yet shown epilepsy to start.

A good example of the latter, which is said to work for eight months against fleas, ticks, and all mites, is a collar - I do not wish to name this on an open forum but will explain it if someone is interested enough to send me a PM [Private Message].

No, I am not a Vet - my knowledge is from years of [human] medical studies and qualifications, and I do not use Google for diagnoses etc - just to find out details of medications that were after my time, what they do and what the side effects could be. I then search for more information but at least I do know what to search for, not just taking what is issued by Google as perfect. Because frequently the links it gives are nothing more than hidden advertisements for various products under the guise of information.

alexjanic

Hello Tikki : )

I actually was shocked when the Vet prescribed Nextgard for mange, and posted some questions about it on a vet forum. Many of the responses from vets indicated that they believed that nextgard would effectively treat both Demodectic and Sarcoptic mange, but I have only had experience with its use for Demodectic mange. I only mention the possibility of a generic because I don't want to look like I am promoting a specific brand or company, however because this is such a new option for the treatment of canine scabies I wanted to spread the word, so if anyone finds themselves in the position of needing to treat it, they know to discuses it as a possible option with their Vet. It does seem to be a less costly and more convenient option (one pill a month for three months).

The dog my mother is fostering has a very bad case of Demodectic mange with extensive hairless on most of his body. I gave him his first Nextgard pill about a week ago and took lots of before pictures. I will update in a few months with the results on such an extreme case.
Do you know if any studies have been done on the collar for treating Demodectic mange?

Tikki

I will do some checking into Nextguard and mange but it is rather late here and tbh I do not feel too good so want to go to bed soon. Little Tikva is already in her night crate.

Incidentally I would not recommend that collar for anything, even though Bayer says it will do this, do that - it nearly destroyed my epileptic dog because it did not have the correct instructions on the tin in which it came. It also made me very ill because my epi girl slept on my bed with me. It was only after a lot of checking that I discovered that the collar was known to cause seizures in a non-epileptic dog. And I still believe that I had to have her euthanised far too soon.

So I stick to monthly Frontline Plus for fleas and ticks, and Drontal twice a year fo rinternal parasites, although as Parkworm has now reached this area the puppy needs an injection as a preventative every three months. As well as yearly boosters and yearly rabies shots.