Do some dogs just have terrible breath?

freckles24

My 11-year old, female mini dachshund has terrible breath. As far as I can remember she always has. It smells as if she has been eating poop, but I know for sure that she hasn't been. I'm very good about brushing her teeth so she has very little plaque, just a little on the back teeth. She eats ground raw dog food. I have asked my vet about it in the past but they haven't had any suggestions or solutions. Do some dogs just have terrible breath for no specific reason?

Chariya

My oldest Dachshund has raunchy breath always has since she was a puppy. When I brush her teeth it improves it some. Mine eats dry food so I don't think food has any bearing on it. My 9 month old doesn't have bad breath so it could just be each dog is different. You could try those Greenies they're supposed to improve dog breath. I tried them and her breath smelled like she pooped some mints. Also to add I don't know if it's a color thing but I had a Red female I adopted that was a retired breeder dog also had poop mouth and my current stinky mouth is a shaded red. I had 2 Piebalds and my current Black and Tan puppy didn't have stinky mouth.

Last edited:

CaseyKC

You could try fresh, not dried, parsley. Mix it with food or try offering it to her by hand. Just a small sprig