Dachshunds and Birds of Prey

Mike

Hi all,
I'm looking for advice on how to protect my mini-Dachshunds from birds of prey - specifically hawks in the New Mexico high desert. All I can come up with is to build a dog pen with some kind of cover / canopy but no way to ever let them run loose.

Thanks,
Mike

BBRex

Three days after we got our puppy we saw a hawk on our back fence, so she's never really outside unsupervised for very long. I'll go out with her, then maybe let her stay out a few minutes while I run in, but only after I make sure the sky is clear.

Our girl doesn't dig much, but I've heard some dachshunds can get under a fence pretty quick, so having them outside without you there isn't such a good idea anyway.

cjday60

Only when my oldest was a puppy did I worry about that. She is 2 now, and weighs 8.5 pounds. She's pretty quick and fiesty so I don't worry about that anymore and she is outside when I am at work. Also have a 6 month old who is already 11 pounds. He is not as quick but since he is heavier...I think the hawks are going for smaller things? I am in Texas.