Dachshund with calcified back

Opiejoe

Hello,,, new to the group ,,, I have 7 dachshunds ,,, my oldest is 13 ,,, my very first one ... About 4 years ago Dr said he had a lot of calcification in his back ... He would get sore but with Robaxin v and metacam he would pull out of it ...... Lately he's been slowing down a lot probably his age to ,,, but I can tell it's his back also hurting him more so the Vet added Tramadol 50mg ,,, 3 times a day ,, along with the other meds ,,, I was worried about the side affects on his liver and kidneys but the Vet told me this ,,,,, that I had 2 choices ,,,I could either give him the meds and him be pain free and there might be a chance of hurting his organs and he could live a good life for maybe 1 1/2 years or stop meds and he would probably live 2 more years but would always be in pain ,,,, so I went with the meds,,,, I just want to do the right thing ,,,, at this point I need advice from other Dachshund owners about what was the safest way to go concerning the meds ,,, should I play around with them to see what works best ? And which meds would cause less damage ,,,, thanks for taking the time to read my post ,,,,,,,,,,,, Rhonda