Question Dachshund aggressiveness

ktmags

Our Dachshund is almost 2 years old. He is the sweetest dog however lately we are finding he is extremely protective of us around strangers and it makes me nervous that he may bite someone. Is this normal behavior? Does anyone have any suggestions on how we can work with him to fix this problem?

CaseyKC

Hi ktmags, Is your little boy neutered? Sometimes neutering is helpful in calming aggression. It is also helpful to create situations where outside socialization is possible. My last little girl, who crossed the Bridge, was showing random signs of aggression and the trainer in her obedience class suggested that I create controlled situations where she could see new people and learn that they were not going to hurt her or me. We spent several weeks with her on a leash, walking around Walmart parking lot and just totally ignoring people leaving or returning to their cars. (I suggest a well fitting harness for this activity in case your dog slips his/her collar.} Next, I had some friends or neighbors meet us on walks, {pre- briefed and having treats in their pockets}. We would stop and chat with the neighbor totally ignoring my girl. Sometimes I would have them touch my shoulder or arm and while continuing our conversation. Finally I would introduce them to my girl and have them give her a treat. Eventually she learned that people outside of my family were not going to harm her or me. The trainer in her obedience class told me that aggression towards strangers is usually due to a lack of socialization and new experiences, and it took about six months for me to be comfortable with non family members or strangers approaching us, but I believe that intense socialization did the trick for my girl. It may also have been due to having her spayed at 14 months. Either way, she calmed down and was the most perfectly behaved little girl until her death from a brain tumor at nearly 12 years old.

In all honesty, I will tell you that nothing has worked with my current little girl, who was 4yo when I got her, the only dog I ever had that wasn't a puppy when I got her. She was a show dog who was so anxious the first few times that she was in the ring that her breeder pulled her and bred her several times (2 or three litters, I am not sure which) before allowing me to purchase her under a spay agreement. She barks her foolish head off when anyone, including my husband walks through the room, and cowers behind me on walks if a human is coming towards us. I believe she may be inherently anxious because the afore mentioned socialization methods, including a 16 week manners and obedience class, did nothing to change her anxious behavior. She is very bonded to me, but is happiest when no other humans are around.

Last edited: