Constantly SCRATCHING

glorious

My 5-yr-old female Dachshund seems to be scratching her sides almost constantly, despite the fact there she has no fleas. She scratches so much that the hair on both sides of her body is actually becoming very thin.

Any possible input on potential solutions to the problem?

Thank you.

Larry
Lakeland, FL

CaseyKC

You may wish to investigate some common causes of itching and scratching. If it is pollen season where you live, you may wish to wipe down your dog with a damp paper towel when she comes indoors. Other causes might be the food you are feeding. Try a high quality food with no grains in it. After a lot of searching, we found that Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream formula was the best for our little girl. You have to get this brand at an independent pet store or a place like Agway.

If you have ticks in your area, do a thorough tick check every time she comes inside from outdoors.

Bathe her with Head and Shoulders plus and this should give some relief. If secondary yeast infections start where she scratches, see your vet. Sort of a scaly, crusty, yellowish tan substance that starts from little skin bumps.

My Libby started allergies when she was either two or three yo. We had blood panels done, bathed her twice a week in Head and Shoulders, and wiped her down during pollen season. It helped some and we still get minor flare ups during pollen season, but when we eliminated all treats and food with grains, she improved greatly.

Good luck.

My 5-yr-old female Dachshund seems to be scratching her sides almost constantly, despite the fact there she has no fleas. She scratches so much that the hair on both sides of her body is actually becoming very thin.

Any possible input on potential solutions to the problem?

Thank you.

Larry
Lakeland, FL

I'm in FL also and it gets bad here certain times of the year. I use this spray that I got from the vet but it's cheaper if you search online. Works good on paws and entire body.

Access Denied