Considering changing his name to Chewy. ;)

DoxieDweller

Hello, all! I am the proud momma of a one-year-old dachshund. His name is currently Cheddar, but maybe I should have named him Chewy? ;)

I am on here today to ask opinions of toys for head-strong, extremely intelligent dachshunds (so, all dachshunds, basically). This is not my first dachshund, but it is the first one that I've owned without owning another dachshund.

Anyway, Cheddar is extremely smart. So smart, in fact, that I bought him a "treat hiding toy" and it took him two tries over a span of three days to figure out how to do it in under a minute. Haha. I was NOT expecting that. He is now bored with it, and I'm at a loss.

Can anyone recommend some other treat hiding toys? Maybe ones at a more difficult level? I will post a picture of his current toy. I bought it at Petco.

The second "issue" I'm having is finding something that he can't chew through. I've never seen a dog with such strong jaws and such a passion for chewing. He can DESTROY a Nylabone in 30 minutes or less.

Can anyone suggest some other chews that might last longer under such strenuous use?

Any and all help is appreciated. Anything that I have not answered, I will answer if you ask. I wasn't sure what all info was needed to help me figure this out. Thank you in advance, y'all!

Penny

He may need more exercise if he's really chewing vigorously. Does he like balls? Since our yard is full of snow I hide their ball in the house. I put them behind a door, hide the ball, and release the hounds. They usually get 1/2 an hour, more even, and mine are older. It's great because they have to use their minds and muscles for that game. Chewing, although passing the time, doesn't get them tired out physically. There are treat balls too that you can put a few of his kibble for the day into and have him push it around to get his breakfast.

This Rope Toys are nonabrasive and nontoxic felted cover that won't wear your dog's teeth down. You can also try the Rawhides all dog owners use this toy and can provide your dog stimulation and help relieve anxiety.

JPsMOM

My guy loves Himalayan Dog chews, and rope toys I have braided out of old t shirts. He is a big chewer. On the exercise thing, mine doesn't give a hoot about balls, but I found some Angry Bird squeaky balls (they are soft like a squeaky toy so they stay put up when not in play). I have two. I take one, squeeze all the air out of it and throw it so it squeaks the whole way which he loves, then once he has that one I grab the second and throw it the other direction. (So don't have to chase him to get the first one back) He can go on like that forever, and it's great even indoors.

Barron

Hello, all! I am the proud momma of a one-year-old dachshund. His name is currently Cheddar, but maybe I should have named him Chewy? ;)

I am on here today to ask opinions of toys for head-strong, extremely intelligent dachshunds (so, all dachshunds, basically). This is not my first dachshund, but it is the first one that I've owned without owning another dachshund.

Anyway, Cheddar is extremely smart. So smart, in fact, that I bought him a "treat hiding toy" and it took him two tries over a span of three days to figure out how to do it in under a minute. Haha. I was NOT expecting that. He is now bored with it, and I'm at a loss.

Can anyone recommend some other treat hiding toys? Maybe ones at a more difficult level? I will post a picture of his current toy. I bought it at Petco.

The second "issue" I'm having is finding something that he can't chew through. I've never seen a dog with such strong jaws and such a passion for chewing. He can DESTROY a Nylabone in 30 minutes or less.

Can anyone suggest some other chews that might last longer under such strenuous use?

Any and all help is appreciated. Anything that I have not answered, I will answer if you ask. I wasn't sure what all info was needed to help me figure this out. Thank you in advance, y'all!
That is too funny. I think Chewy is a great name. Barron has a Kong, we hide treats in it when we leave, and he never even notices that we have left. Before this, he would sometimes be anxious when we would leave the house.
I was at the Global Pet Expo, and Dr. Mary Becker from Good Morning America suggested these items. He is a well respected vet, and has good advice on Vetstreet.
https://shine.yahoo.com/pets/10-best-pet-products-global-pet-expo-164200425.html
I found my Kong from me, my Piddle Place, and my Barron used to "woof" down food, so we also bought the Slo-Bowl. It makes him eat more slowly.

We are still laughing about "Chewy" but I hope this helps.