Clicker training pups?

donnam

Sorry I tried searching and can't find any threads on clicker training. What is the best way to do this?

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
First thing you need to do is go get the book "Reaching the Animal Mind" by Karen Pryor or find someone who understands it to teach you. To do it right takes some learning. Look up how to vids on youtube, specifically Kikopup. She is fantastic and has a vid on almost anything you might have a question about.

I clicker train my dogs and my cat. I use almost exclusively shaping ans free shaping. I don't like luring. It's too easy to get dependent on it by you and the dog. I like mine thinking for themselves, not just reacting to me.

I have a quick vid I did in answer to someone asking me how to clicker train a deafie... it's exactly the same, but with a light instead of a clicker. Ill upload it and post it for you when it's done

Last edited:

Wyominiwiener

For me I think the whole clicker training is crap. But it is me. I train on praise. seems to work well. I guess I was trained to train on praise. I hardly even use treats.

Tim

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Clickertraining is not crap. It is literally the fastest and easiest way to train any animal, and they LOVE it. I used to think that way, now I know different!

Nell

@ Tim, I have never used clicker training either. I too have mostly used praise as dogs like to please, I do occasionally use treats but like to limit this as I do not want my dogs to rely on them.

@ Deafdogs, I disagree that Clicker training is the fastest and easiest way to train. I have seen it used effectively but so do other methods. The best way is what suits you and the individual dog.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Look, I honestly felt that way too. I used a combo of praise and corrections when warrented... and I thought I was a great trainer, getting decent results fairly quickly... that changed the first time I tried clicker training with an open mind (I'd tried it before, but didn't give it my best, and didn't believe it would work, so of course, it didn't). What an unbelievable difference in the dogs! Training is so much more fun, and they learn and retain so much better! It truly is an amazing experience.

Watch the vid I posted. Can you teach your dog 2 new tricks in 5 minutes? And have them remember them 2 weeks later without working on it again in that time? Mouse isn't an overly bright, or overly special dog, and being deaf and 80 ish % blind doesn't help, yet that's what she can do with clicker training. And my dogs aren't reliant on treats. They can and do do behaviours and tricks and obedience without food, praise is good enough for stuff they already know.

I am not saying your way doesn't work, and work well. I am saying clickertraining is phenomenal!

Wyominiwiener

Well for me I train like I was in the obedience ring. And you cannot use a clicker in the ring. One of my last instructors was an AKC obedience judge. Who BTW received his judging certificate (or what ever needed, IDK) By training a Dachshund through a UD, maybe a OTCH.
I look at clicker training is just not for me, others may use it I for one will not. Sorry if I just stated my opinion.

Tim

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
I'm guessing you dont really understand it then. You don't use the clicker whereever you go, and you dont use it once a dog knows the behaviour. Thousands of Obedience and Rally-o people use clicker training, because it works best. Again, not that your way doesn't work, but if you truly try it, truly give it an open minded chance, you will never look back. One of the top shitzund trainers/trialers/judges in the UK clickertrains (I'm sure alot of others do to, but I know of her specifically)

amparra

The clicker just marks the desired behavior. Its basically the same as saying "GOOD GIRL/BOY!" Honestly, I think its more effective than marking the behavior through praise because its easier to get the timing just right. Once the dog understands what you are asking him to do you phase out the clicker and the treats.

I really like using the clicker for trick training. For the more common obedience commands, I usually just lure and treat and then phase the treats out.

Last edited:

Wyominiwiener

Well maybe I am the one who doesn't understand. I must have began my training in an area or time before clicker where used, early 80s. As no one I ever knew in the dog world ever said anything about clicker training. must be a European thing that made its way to north America like the stupid round abouts. IDK. LOL

Tim

Last edited:

Lupita

I love clicker training! Once the dog learns that click=reward, it is amazing to see how fast and eager they are to learn.
I used a clicker and food rewards to teach my dog so many things. We got Lupi as a 4 week old rescue puppy (not especially bright and definitely socially challenged) At 5 weeks I taught her to sit. By 6 weeks she knew sit, lay down and shake a paw. By 6 months she knew leave it, come, go to your bed, stay, wait, take it, turn, bring me a toy and many more, including ringing a bell to be let outside.
At this point, Lupi knows just about every trick in the book and excelled at obedience and agility, all thanks to clicker training. Every instructor I've ever had remarks on Lupi's focus and incredible work ethic. It's because she LOVES "working" and that's because she associates obedience with positive things.
As soon as I get out the clicker, Lupi gets excited. I typically don't do much luring, but rather "capture" the behavior I like, with the clicker, or a verbal reward marker, followed by food.
For instance, I "taught" Lupi roll-over by catching her rolling on the grass one day, praising like mad and giving her a piece of sandwich meat I happened to be eating. It took only two times of catching her rolling and rewarding her, for her to learn the trick.
I only use the clicker when initially teaching something new, then I switch to praise and treats until the behavior is really well ingrained. After that, I phase out the treats, only using them once in a while to reinforce the behavior.
"Clicker training" isn't really about the clicker itself. You can use any word or sound to mark the behavior you want. It's about a style of training that focuses on positive reinforcement, and teaching dogs to think for themselves, rather than simply avoid punishment. Because they are rewarded for creative thinking, dogs trained this way end up becoming very quick-learners. They also develop a confidence that enables them to enjoy the world more.