Bloated/Hard Stomach

Brad_C

Hi Everyone,

My girlfriend recently got a dachshund from someone in her neighborhood that was just going to give her to the pound when they moved. We don't know much about her other than she was chained outside, often times wasn't fed, and is between 8 and 10 years old according to the vet. Since we got her, her stomach has gotten larger and appears bloated and is hard to the touch. Her behavior hasn't changed (had her about 1 month) but as her stomach has gotten larger she can't really go up stairs. When you pick her up she's not in pain and there's no vommiting or any abnormal behavior from what we've seen so far. So far she only seems to want to poop once a day so we aren't sure is this is normal or if she is constipated.

We started her off on a raw meat (vet recommended type/brand) and feed her the recommended amount. We were initially wondering if she was just gorging since she wasn't previously fed as often as she should have been. Though now, as her stomach continues to get bigger, we're thinking maybe it's something else. The vet has been 0 help and just keeps saying the don't know and to take her to get an X-ray for about $400 and it just seems as though they're just in it to try and get more and more money from us. Any ideas/suggestions in regards to this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

CaseyKC

You could try canned pumpkin, the plain kind, not spiced for pie. This might get things moving.

rbmount

you may want to spend the money and have an xray. my 13yr old piebald's stomach got like that and we had her xrayed, only to find she had a tumor that had taken over her whole abdomen, to the point that her intestines were cramped all the way at her rear end. she ate well, no vomiting, ran around chasing lizards, pestering her sister like nothing was wrong. over the past two weeks, the tumor grew to the point that she couldn't poop. unfortunately, we had to put her down yesterday. my wife and my hearts are totally broken, but we had the best 13 years with Mattie. for the cost, i would check around with different vets.