Bladder Control

Arizona Matt

Hi everyone,

I have a question about how frequently dachshunds need to pee. I have a three year old male dachshund who only pees twice a day. He goes during his morning and evening walks, which are at 8:00 AM and 8:00 PM(I'm only walking him twice a day due to the summer time heat). If I let him out during the day he doesn't go.

Has anyone else had a dog who only goes a couple of times a day? Is this unhealthy for him? Before I adopted my dog he was left in a crate all day, so I wonder if this was a habit he developed.

Matt

Penny

Hi Matt. I think you have a very good observation!
I'm not a vet but I'll tell you my experience. All winter our dogs pee on papers so I know a lot about pee. Our male Beau had very yellow pee, and I noticed that when it dried on the papers, I could see crystals. Ok, that's probably not a good thing. Had it checked at the vet and they said he could drink more but the concentration/ratio was ok. So I decided to add water to his kibble and warm in the microwave for his meals. Then I added a teaspoon of canned food and about a 1/4 cup of water, warmed in the microwave, in addition to the kibble and water. I figured that it was better for him to be hydrated, and better for his bladder to have more flushings. He's had his 12th birthday and he hasn't had any bladder issues. I suspect that the boys don't drink much because peeing a more concentrated liquid out on their walks suits them. lol The girls get water/canned food with their kibble heated up so they can have more liquid too. They still go sip at the water dish but I never seem to catch Beau going for extra.

So my take would be extra hydration would be good for him. It's not going to hurt!

Tootsie8700

My 5 year old Patrick goes twice a day-- unless we go on a walk and then he goes about 10 times :)

He seems quite fine with his twice a day routine--occasionally 3 times but usually twice.