Best dog food

jaf234

Hello everyone! I recently became the proud mom to a dachshund. We got him when he was 9 weeks old and the person we got him from was feeding him puppy chow, so I got him that. Since then I have been reading bad things about puppy chow. Dipper is now 3 months old. Can anyone recommend a good food for him?

Thanks in advance.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
I am a pet foodie lol. I will not feed my pets any food made by large corporations, nor any company who doesn't manufacture their dry in their own plant. I will not feed foods with corn, wheat, soy, ethoxyquin, BPA, unnamed meat, carageenan, chemical preservatives, ingredients from China, or fish. Which is severely limiting. I also do not believe in feeding tje same thing day after day. This is where alot of tummy issues come from. Mine get something different every meal. They get kibble, canned, freeze dried, raw and homecooked.

Here are the brands i will feed:
Orijen
Acana
First Mate
Horizon

Canned I will feed:
First Mate
Wild Calling
Go

Freeze dried:
Orijen
DNA
The Honest Kitchen

Plus raw chicken necks, backs, hearts, gizzards, legs and wings, whole rabbit, quail, beef of any sort except weight bearing bones, venison, pork, goat, lamb, whatever.

I always float kibble in water as dry really isn't good for anything. Try eating dry cereal without a drink of any sort... sucks.

Last edited:

Nell

I am not familiar with many of the U.S brands but agree variety is a good way to go and would second Deafdogs comment re dried food!

amparra

Deafdogs recommended some great brands. Mine just started eating Earthborn, before that they were eating Fromm. I'm not a daily rotation feeder but I do switch brands every once in a while.

I also want to add that there is no such thing as the "best dog" food, you need to feed what your dog does best on. Sometimes the premium brands that look great on paper just don't agree with some dogs.

S

SirBuddyRules

Hello everyone! I recently became the proud mom to a dachshund. We got him when he was 9 weeks old and the person we got him from was feeding him puppy chow, so I got him that. Since then I have been reading bad things about puppy chow. Dipper is now 3 months old. Can anyone recommend a good food for him?

Thanks in advance.
I am after the same kind of advice because we feed our pup Blue Buffalo Wilderness puppy and it doesn't seem to be agreeing with his digestive system. We mix the dry with wet canned puppy BB. Our vet says that we shold take him off it because her experience is pups having renal failure...I don;t know if this is because she is promoting brands or not. I was going to try origen but from reading some review some pups have the same symptoms perhaps because the food is so rich? I am starting to contemplate making my own food for him.

Houdinidog

Mine eats raw, I make my own but there are also several brands on the market that are pre-made and take guesswork out of it. You can check out Primal or Bravo, it's really not much more expensive to feed a small dog compared to high end kibble like Orijen/Acana and I've had good results with it as far as him maintaining good weight (he's all muscle), soft shiny coat and clean teeth.

Lupita

I used to feed Origen but found it gave Lupi anal gland issues. I switched to Acana which suited her much better.
Now I feed both my pups a pre-made raw (Nature's Variety) and they are both doing great on it. Their poop doesn't smell at all and there is less of it. They also don't get gas or any other tummy issues.
I like to add green beans and other veggies in to help Lupi (the older dog) feel fuller without added calories. They also get Greek yoghurt and the odd egg.

zaniitee9

I don't know much about US brands, my dachshunds are on Royal Canin or Hills. But I use to douse kibbles and then mix them with sour cream or cottege chease or some creamy souce with no salt

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
A gimmick so they can charge and arm and a leg for it. There is absolutely no difference between it and the others. And there's no way in heck I'd pay that kind of money for the extremely poor quality of ingredients that both Hills and Royal Canin have. They charge as much or more for their foods as the foods I feed, which are top of the line.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk

JPsMOM

Never made much sense to me personally. I feed The Honest Kitchen Preference and add my own meat. He seems you be doing beautifully on it, and bonus that he LOVES it!

Sent via tapatalk

Hope Hounds

I've had dachshunds for 14 years. I fed them Science diet for awhile and I then I switched to Avoderm. I think it make their coats nice and shiny. I have on occasion been unemployed and forced to buy cheap food but I could really see a diffetence . They would get dandruff or gain weight. Once I even noticed a fatty lump after feed in bargain food! Its really worth it to feed a premium or natural food. They are just so much healthier when they eat well.

lucerogina

Has anyone tried the Dachshund specific food that is out there.

Tim

I had Elliott on Royal Canin dachshund. He did ok but his poops were smelly and he gained weight. Someone on this forum recommended Acana and I couldn't be happier that we made the switch. The food itself smells better and his poops are more consistent and less smelly. His coat looks shinier too.

Loving my Elliott,
Gina

Hunter's Parade

I was feeding Nutra Nuggets+some raw food I made my self for a years maybe.Now I bought Acana puppy&junior for my pregnant/lactating female and her pups,and my 6 months old pup.Thinking to keep feeding Acana to all of my dogs.It is just a little expensive than NN,so I don't see any reason why couldn't I feed them better.

Orijen is good too,Taste of The Wild.
NEVER Royal Canin or Hill's.Total crap food.

COCO

Hi guys, got my own questions about food and was hoping for some advice. Coco is on Purina 'Pro Plan Small & Mini Breed Complete Puppy Food', its what his breeder had him on so we've continued with it.

After reading everyone's views on the different food, its got me worrying whether I'm feeding Coco a good food or not! He's been sick a couple of times, mainly through eating too quick so I've got him a slow feeder bowl, which has slowed him down and stopped him bringing it up. I started adding a bit of water to the food the other day as I was worried it might be too dry.

I wouldn't mind trying to mix his diet up a bit with some raw food as well. But what age is it appropriate to do that?

JPsMOM

I dont have any advice on raw feeding, but i did look up the food you mentioned and from what I saw, I feel you are on the right track for a food change. There are some people on here who feed raw, maybe they will chime in. I personally feed The Honest Kitchen Preference, and add my own homecooked meat. It says right on the box it is also good for adding your own raw meat, as it is a "complete" food minus the protein. You can look it up on their website if you are interested. Hope that helps and good luck :)

Sent via tapatalk

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
I wouldn't feed Purina. There are so many reasons I would not feed it, I just won't get into it. But here's a quick link http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/cancer-causing-aflatoxins-found-in-dog-foods/

As to raw, any age is appropriate. I start mine as soon as I get them. But keep in mind, your pup is not used to food changes, so start with something like chicken wings or necks with lots of bone, so he doesn't get diarrhea. That's only if you're going to feed it sometimes. If you're going to switch completely to raw, then you need to do things a bit differently.

Hunter's Parade

Purina isn't best out there.

About raw food.That is a dog,no wolf have ever ate dry food.They eat raw from age of 3 weeks.You can give your puppy raw lamb,chicken meat and beef,the best for teeth training in my opinion is raw bones,those big ones,never give ribs or chicken bones.Cotegge cheese with raw yolk once a week if you are feeding chicken egg.If you have quail eggs than you can give them whole,even with a shell twice a week.Some organs are good,like lungs,heart,beef stomach(carefully with this,they are very rich in fat),sometimes liver and kidney.Salmon with rice,but I prefer this boiled.I take half of salmon's head and boil it with rice.When you will be taking the meat of, you will find some nice gristle,they love it.
I usually feed 50:50 dry and natural food.When you will start feeding naturally give just a little for the first time.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Dogs can eat chicken bones just fine, as long as they're raw. Infact, edible bones such as chicken bones and rib bones are best. Weight bearing bones break teeth and they don't get the benefit of nutrients in the bone, if they can't eat them. Cooked chicken bones (or any cooked bones) are dangerous, raw is not.

Raw fish must be frozen hard for at least a couple of weeks to kill the parasites in it.

Last edited: