Are you allowed to...

vizzla

take your doxies to
- the store (supermarket), local drugstore or other markets?
- to the doctors office?
- to the bar? (I dont think dogs belong there anyways but are they allowed)
- to the café (outside or insede)
- in the bus/flight/train?
- in hotells?
- to malls/shopingcenters?

In sweden we are not allowed to take the dog anywhere it feels like. Nowhere inside are they allowed. MAYBE to the petshops (we dont sell animals there just pet-things like toys, food and stuff). Everywhere we meet signs like - Respect those who has allergies, No pets allowed...........
Its hard to take dogs to hotells or bed and breakfast. A few allowes dogs or pets, but they are hard to find. Its allowed to take dogs to buses or trains but just in certain areas, thats often crowded... Not fun for our little friends.

I visited france two years ago. There there were dogs everywhere. In bars, in stores, at hotells... :) I was glad. I really dont think dogs belong in malls or bars! So I would never take him there but just the idea of having him with me no matter where I go is just great.

I would never leave my dog outside a store, tide up. People can be cruel to lonly dogs, the dog can be scared, abused and stolen! :eek: We have cases each year where dogs are stolen!!! I would die if someone took my baby!!

In general on the West Coast of the US, none of the above, with exceptions.
Dogs are allowed on the outdoor patio of a restaurant if the restaurant has a policy that dogs (well-behaved on-leash) are OK.
Many hotels are dog-friendly if you look for them. The dog costs extra but will often get a special bed and treats. LaQuinta is a motel chain that usually allows dogs. You can't leave the dog alone in the room and sometimes there is a size limit. Of course, you could always go camping.
Some hospitals allow a pet to visit the sick person.
Service dogs are allowed everywhere. That is, dogs trained to help a disabled person.
Some towns have a dog beach where they can run free. Others have certain hours of the day when dogs can be off leash, or not at all. One town used to not allow dogs in the downtown, even on a leash, but has since changed to attract more shoppers.

When we go shopping the dog stays in a crate in the car or on a dog bed. This is just for a short time and never when it is too warm. We try to combine shopping with a walk or time at a dog park (to make it up to him!)

A West Coast magazine (Sunset) recently listed towns that openly welcome dogs:
California-Mendocino, Carmel, Cambria, Morro Bay, Coronado Island.
Oregon-Cannon Beach, Lincoln City
Washington-Copalis Beach, Long Beach

This is an interesting and controversial topic. Any discussions about changing dog rules brings out a very vocal group that sees dogs in public and being dirty and dangerous.

garyd

I take my dogs many places with me...hardware store, bank, etc. As long as the establishment doesn't serve food, the pets are usually allowed in. One exception is the US Post office...only service animals allowed.

nola

take your doxies to
- the store (supermarket), local drugstore or other markets? No, but I do take her to farmer's markets
- to the doctors office? No
- to the bar? (I dont think dogs belong there anyways but are they allowed) No
- to the café (outside or insede) Outside, yes. I've never had an issue with Nola (8lbs), but I've had had trouble with larger dogs
- in the bus/flight/train? Certain ones you can, although I've never done it personally.
- in hotells? Yes, if they are pet friendly. Most places have a weight limit (generally under 25lbs, some places 40lbs), and if you dog is above it you have to pay an extra fee. Nola's been in lots of hotels, and people just love her. She's not scared at all of the automatic doors, funny smells, cleaning stuff, elevators, ect. It's been even easier traveling with her since she passed her Canine Good Citizen. Proves better than me saying that she has a level of training I hold her to.

- to malls/shopingcenters? I've taken her to a few outlet malls, I just ask before I bring her in. There's generally no issue, but some places require they're in your arms or a bag. And of course pet stores and such. Some small town stores are very dog friendly.
:) Nola's a well behaved, tiny dog who's insanely adorable. That helps a lot. :p

vizzla

I once piced up Alf and went in to the video store to return a DVD we rented. i didnt care for the looks, nobody said anything :) i returned the movie and went outside again :D

jax's_mommy

Generally no. But some of the places here doesn't care as long as I have him in my purse, haha :)
I don't take him often. Just usually If I have to take him somewhere and I have other errands to run as well.

Doxmom

About five miles from my home, is a town in Central Florida called 'The Villages.' It is very dog-friendly. There are three town centers where dogs are welcomed. Because there are many visitors, most of the hotels in the area do accept dogs, with an extra deposit.

There are outdoor restaurants where dogs can sit with their owners, much like in France. There are several dog-friendly stores, too. There are many adoption fairs and dog shelter fundraisers and events.

You will often see dogs in golf carts along with their owners, going for rides about town!:eek: