Are other breeds friendly towards dachshunds?

vizzla

Today Alf went to a playdate with 4 other small breeds. A basenju puppy (6 months old) didnt like dachshunds at all and went for Alf. We separated them and they had to play one at the time with the other dogs.

Are some breeds more dachshunds-friendly than others?

Does your dachshund have any problem with other breeds?

Alf doesnt like german shepherds at all, he once got scared of one (not hurt but just scared). So he barks and launch at all of them.

Penny

Maybe the basenji pup just needs to learn some manners! :p

Georgia is afraid of big dogs. They lady where she came from had a lot of dachshunds so I don't think she got a whole lot of socialization with big dogs in her first year.

Inkeri

Manu doesn't like golden retrievers because when he was a puppy a gd ran over him at a doggy-park... He didn't get hurt or anything, but obviously he still remembers what happened. ;)

I don't think it's a breed-related thing if dogs have issues with each other. Some dogs just "talk" dog better than others. Not all humans like each other, so why should all dogs like each other? :D
Although, I've noticed that if there's a choice dachshunds prefer to play with other dachshunds. :)

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Most dogs will choose to go breed-specific when socializing or playing. I've read that it's likely because they look like their mothers did, and they know how to "talk" the same way. as for dogs taking a specific dislike to certain breeds, that's quite common as well, whether it be because of a bad experience, or that they don't know how to "talk" to that breed. As for breeds not likeing dachshunds in particular, I don't think that's the case. I think it's down to individuals and their early socialization.

jax's_mommy

I've never had a problem with a dachshund interacting with other breeds, aside from my mini who wanted to go after a pit cuz the pit was checking out her puppies lol. Other than that never a problem. She loved all dogs she ever met. Same with Jax, he has yet to meet a stranger he didn't like, rather its people or dogs. Cats too for that matter :) He's a happy go lucky pup.

vizzla

Yes I think the Basenji did have to learn maners ;)
He played with a schnauzer female and all the time he bit her neck and forced her to the ground. She just rolled over on her back, but he kept doing that all playdate. I suppose thats not ok for Alf :)

vizzla

I often hear others speak of their breed in terms of "oh the breed is male aggressive" (labradors/retrievers) or "they cant play with...... (breeds or sex)". So it feels that its more common these days that dogs have more issues with others? Is it the breeding that has gone wrong?

Penny

Yes I think the Basenji did have to learn maners ;)
He played with a schnauzer female and all the time he bit her neck and forced her to the ground. She just rolled over on her back, but he kept doing that all playdate. I suppose thats not ok for Alf :)
Well see, that's not playing, he's being dominant. I would be very annoyed if my dog kept getting bullied and I would likely have asked that the owner keep his dog on a leash until he learned to behave. That kind of behavior is just going to trigger a dog fight, as you found out.

We have a play group here too and that's the chance you take. It's a mixed bag of people and their dogs. One guy brought a squeekie toy, squeeked it a bunch of times, and threw it in the middle of the room. I wanted to yell HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND??? lol The whole room of dogs collided on the one spot. Dogs on laps flew off the laps, maybe hurting themselves. One dog got it but it changed the whole mood of the room. It's not good when the whole room gets an injection of adrenalin!! Everyone calm down, relax. lol

Last edited:

vizzla

Oh no that doesnt sound so smart to do!

I reacted to the way the Basenji played caus I didnt think the schnauzer liked it. The owner of the Basenji said that he wasnt used to play with other dogs, I could tell.

But now I know. I will not let alf play with that dog again. He has his friends. :)

Penny

Once a year we have a big dachshund party outdoors for the afternoon. We rent an outdoor hockey rink in the summer so it's a great enclosed place for us to use, and on the south side of the rink there's mature trees that offer shade. There's washrooms and plenty of parking. It's a great facility for what we need.

I had Georgia on a leash beside me and a male that was wandering free came up to her and was sniffing her and such, and I didn't like his posturing. I was watching very closely and sure enough he went to bite her back end but I was there and got my foot in quick and picked her up. There was no reason for him to lunge at her back end. Can you imagine what an awful injury that might have been if the skin got ripped, and the mental trauma? That kind of dog should be kept on leash and have lessons in manners. The owner was sitting down in a lawn chair quite far away, and it was very annoying.

You can see the white boards in the background, the hockey rink. This was the wiener dog races...

Maybe that's something that folks would like to organize in your location.

Last edited:

ZaidaBoBaida

My mini usually thinks all other dogs are her new best friends, but she's afraid of my husband's boss' austrailian shepherd. She starts to cry whenever she sees him.

babysis

Baby does very well with dobermans, german shepards and labs but not labradoodles. Other breeds, she will tolerate. Marley on the other hand loves any animal that moves except squirrels. But those are girls and he chases the "girls" if he sees them!

desireef

We have a 9 month old doxie and a 4 month old lab, they get along great! But last fall our doxie didnt like our neighbors pekignese

SSG.House

Eli gets along great with my moms terrier and pit/lab mix. The pit/lab is actually scared of Eli, but they all play....sometimes the Terror gets a little heavy handed but Eli handles this well the issue is Sloooowing Eli down.

sherlock

Dr. Watson has friends that are lots of different breeds! My parents have a beagle who he loves (though she doesn't quite feel the same. She tolerates him, but she's 12 years old and he's just too bouncy for her.) He gets along very well with my sister-in-law's rat terrier/pointer, and my best friend's shepherd mix and papillion. When we go to the park, he plays mostly with corgis or terriers...or whoever is chasing a ball!!!

Anyway, my main point is that we've never really had problems. However, our dog park has two separate areas for big and small dogs, so he's never really played with stranger dogs that are very big.