Anxious barking

Ajraffa

New Owner
Today is day 5 of Olli living with us, day 2 of us actually being at work.
Let me describe our routine before I get down to the barking.

Olli sleeps in a kennel in our room. I get up at 5 am, and carry her kennel into the living room where I have a wire pen set up, lined with plastic with puppy pads on top. I let her out of the kennel and into there, where I wait until she pees/poops so I can click and treat her for going on the puppy pad.
I bring her breakfast and sit with her while she eats. Then at 5:20 my boyfriend gets up and comes out. He sits with her for a bit, then I leave.
The original plan was for her to stay in the pen while he showered and got ready , but she is not handling it like we'd hoped.

She has started barking shrilly and whining the moment she gets put in the pen. Even if someone is sitting with her, or in the kitchen (across from her pen) or even just standing there looking at her, she's crying. She's starting to cry when she's OUT of the pen, and in the living room while I'm in the bathroom or getting a drink of water.

I'm trying to teach her Shush. I put my finger to my lips, and if she quiets down she gets a click and treat. I know you are supposed to ignore her but we live in an apartment building and 5 am is early for tiny dog barking.
Since Jeff (my boyfriend) can't just let her bark, I told him to kennel her and put her back in our bedroom since it is the farthest away from neighbor's walls.

I've heard of spraying them with water, throwing a can of coins nearby so it startles them out of barking. I can't exactly redirect her attention to a toy because she's supposed to be eating and pottying before we leave.

Any advice would be appreciated. I know she's adjusting to her 'new pack' but I want to make sure I am training right.

Nell

It sounds as though your pup is seriously missing the comfort, warmth and touch of her mum and litter mates.

If she sleeps in a kennel in your room at night the last thing she wants when she wakes up is to be put in another pen.

She needs to be held, played with and be with you, sitting with her while she is in the pen is not the same thing and I am not surprised she is crying, she wants to be with you. Could you not take her out for a wee then let her run around with you for a while?

I am presuming she is also in the pen when you do go to work so how long is she left while you are at work?

Sorry if I sound a bit critical but puppies need a lot of time and company.

Ajraffa

New Owner
I was under the impression while potty training they need to be kept in a small area to prevent accidents. I lock her up in the pen for 15 minutes at a time to pee and poop. Once she's done pottying, she gets to come right back out and spend time with us. The moment she pees she gets a click and treat and let out of the pen to play around.
The books I have read say when you are waiting for them to potty be as boring as possible so they'll want to get their business done.
Also when I feed her if I don't put her in the pen, she just won't eat. She gets too distracted and only eats a bite or two. My friend comes out and lets her out during the day, but I don't feel that is the issue. I can be standing in the kitchen and her sitting next to me while I cook and she's still crying. Isn't picking her up rewarding her for crying?

Nell

"I've heard of spraying them with water, throwing a can of coins nearby so it startles them out of barking."

I meant to say please don't do this to a small puppy. Your puppy is crying because it is a baby who needs you, it shouldn't be punished for needing your love.

Ajraffa

New Owner
So I just let her out when she barks? Just try to shoo her towards her puppy pad when she's starting to squat?

Nell

I do get what you are trying to do but my point is your puppy is spending a lot of time on her own.

House training is hard work and very time consuming, if you want to get the puppy clean you will need to spend more time with her. She doesn't know why you are putting her in the pen all she knows is she keeps getting shut away from you so she cries. If she is in the pen and can see you she will cry all the more. If the goal is to get her to go outside and not indoors you need to take her out regularly, go with her and when she goes outside give plenty of praise and take her back in with you.

If you are happy for her to use puppy pads in doors then you need to have plenty of pads around and wait for her to squat then gently lift her and place her on the pad. Again loads of praise when she does go.

You also said she won't eat when she is not in the pen as she is easily distracted, and I guess this is because she is so excited to be "out". I would persevere with feeding her when she is not in the pen. She won't starve herself if there is food down and you need her to relax when she is out of the pen and with you. Leave it down for a little while and when she settles she will probably eat.

If she cries to be picked up, she probably needs some comfort and warmth, dachshunds are really cuddly dogs, they love company and like nothing better than to be with you. She will probably follow you everywhere, perfectly normal for a dachshund, but that's why we love them so much lol!

With patience, consistency and love she will be your best companion but for now she is a baby and needs you to love her and guide her.

jarredfeet

Nell explained it well, just little more bonding, play time and exercise with your pup to help her behave/settle in. She's longing for some socialization.

vizzla

Yes puppies are not supposed to be left alone at such a young age. She is in a new place and is getting to know you but is beeing left alone. I would get a dogwatcher to take her when you are at work. Its just a baby.

Do not scare her or throw things near her. She is just a baby all puppys cant be left alone at all. My personal oppinion about crating is that it hurting the dog alot more and creates more behavioural problems.

SHe needs company.

Hope you find a solution.

Ajraffa

New Owner
I tried to follow everyone's advice and now I don't know what to do.
She's barking when I put her food down, when we're walking out the door, when I go to the bathroom, she even barks at my plate when we're eating dinner. My dog sitter told me she's barking during the day too.
Last night she stood at the bottom of the bed and barked and barked and barked. I took her to pee, no go, I gave her some water thinking she was thirsty, no go. I'm not sure what to do.
She had a vet appointment on Monday, got her rabies shot and her anal glands expressed. Everything else looked fine, she's gaining weight appropriately, her teeth and ears looked fine, no lumps or bumps.

Last edited:

JPsMOM

I am no expert, but to me it sounds like a baby crying for attention. If you're walking out the door, you're leaving..yes? If you're going in the bathroom...laying in bed...you're away from her. When you are feeding her in the morning, that is right before you leave if I read correctly, so maybe its anxiety building about your impending departure? Sounds like anything I have read about separation anxiety. I don't have any advice, so that's not entirely helpful, but maybe someone will chime in with help. My advice won't be much help anyway because my instinct is "oh just quit your job and stay home with her darn it!! She needs you!!!" Lol

Sent via tapatalk

Ajraffa

New Owner
It doesn't seem to relate to me leaving. I leave the door open when I pee (lol) so she can see me and she stands in the doorway barking at me. With food she barks at me until I put it down and then she's busy eating.
What is funny is that when I am actually leaving, she doesn't bark! Last night I tried to pet her and cuddle her and she kissed my face but wriggled to get down and play. I can't tell if it's anxiety, or if she has learned that barking is a way to get me to do what she wants?

JPsMOM

Ah! I see now. You may very well be right then. Lol again, just an uneducated guess, but I would come to the conclusion that you have a bossy pants! :)

Sent via tapatalk

Nell

Just to be on the safe side have her hearing checked at the vets. Personally I still think she probably just needs more social contact and cuddles, she is still a baby and they do need lots of attention.