Animal bones = scary!

sherlock

So our apartment is right next to an empty lot/field...I usually take Watson out there to potty and/or play. Sometimes neighbors (obnoxiously) throw food out there, for the birds.

Well, Watson just went out an found a chicken bone. Of course I know these can be very dangerous, so any time he gets one I chase him down and pull it out of his mouth.

But just now, when I went to get it from him, I found it wedged across the top of his mouth, stuck on each side against his teeth. I tried to pull it out but it was really stuck up there. He kept trying to get it down with his tongue, and was pawing at his face. After trying a few times, I started getting a little scared, so I scooped him up and ran upstairs, hollering for my DH. He took a look, and grabbed a pair of needle-nose pliers we had on the coffee table. He was able to get them in there and yank out the bone, finally (and in one piece.)

It was super scary, and I was afraid we would have to run him to the emergency vet. Luckily, Watson is fine and there was just a little bit of bleeding at the gums. (And I only have a bit of swelling where he bit my finger but didn't break the skin.)

I felt like I should share...make sure anything your babies get isn't small enough to get caught in their mouth!

Little Sophie

Glad everything turned out ok! I live in a condo, and there are 7 condo buildings in this private little street we have. I usually walk Sophie in back of the buildings where there is a ton of grass, but people will throw everything off their balconies, which Sophie always finds. I couldn't agree more, it's so obnoxious.

If Sophie finds something she tries to scarf it down so fast before I can get it from her. Just the other day she found 2 cooked hamburger patties which apparently someone threw in the grass, but like you said the worst are the bones! Just irritates me that people recklessly throw things like that in the grass. Again, glad to hear Watson is ok!

vizzla

It is so scary when they do that!

Theo played with a stick he found outside. A split went just like that in his mouth!! I managed to get it out but he is no longer allowed to play with sticks. We take our own toys outside so he always has something to chew on or play with.

nola

So scary! Nola had that happen with a stick once. Which is why I taught a solid drop it and leave it.

schierling

That is so scary, my guys love to wait around and see if I will throw chicken bones in the trash. When I do I take them straight to the garbage bin. Prying a bone away from a dachshund is a herculean task. One is lucky to leave with all five fingers. Glad it worked out ok for your guy.