Advice on stairs for bed

BerniesDad

I have purchased a couple of different stairs for my Mini Dachshund, Bernie. Most of them are for short dogs, with short bodies. As you can imagine, my dog is short, but long.

I made some simple collapsable stairs that work, but not as well as I would like. I made each stair as deep as he is long so he could jump to one stair, then the next. It messes with his gait and he has a really hard time using them. In fact, he usually skips as many as he can jumping.

I plan to stop the jumping by making some glamourous circular stairs, but need advice on appropriate depth vs height. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Like his father, he's getting old and fat, so I am concerned for his back.

Thanks, Jase

CharlesB

Hi Jase,
Sorry I can't help you with the staircase, but wanted to say how thankful I am that you are thinking about Bernie's back. I carefully scoop my little Hoffy up with one arm under her chest and one under her rear end sand put her in bed with us each night. She turned 14 this past October and us doing great. I personally think a glucosamine supplement is a great idea. I have given them to Hoffy and Minnie most of their lives. Unfortunately It was trying to move on for Minnie. She had to leave us this past July 15, but she lived a long and mostly healthy 15 years and 5 months. She did have done allergies to deal with but we got that under a reasonable amount of control. I love her and miss her so much but I understand it was time for her to go. Keep an eye on Bernie's diet, consider a joint supplement and definitely figure out those stairs. Sorry I can't help more. Take care, Charles

Dexterowner

My wife carries our guy up and down the stairs and then isn't going to change but I had thought about building a ramp for the few outdoor stairs he has to go up.

CaseyKC

So sorry I can't help you. I purchased a rather expensive ramp specifically made for dachshunds to get onto and off of my higher than average bed. With food incentives placed at 6" intervals I convinced her to try it, but the covering material (like a textured rug) wouldn't give her feet purchase, and she kept sliding down to the floor. The manufacturer, when I wrote about this problem suggested covering the ramp with sandpaper sheets. It didn't work, despite her enthusiasm for treats, she kept sliding to the floor when she was half was up. I ended up giving it away to a friend with an older beagle. The beagle had no issues using that ramp. I am still lifting Annie up to the bed and am concerned because sometimes when I am sleeping she will jump down from my bed.