6 month old won’t sleep anymore?

Rainygrim

Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me.

My miniature dachshund has always had separation anxiety and this affects her a lot during bed time. When we got her we tried to crate train her and it was very on and off, at first she would only sleep in the crate if it was in my room and then eventually managed to get her to sleep in her crate in the living room. This wasn’t a long term thing though as she is very stubborn and would howl all night even if I slept in the living room with her she just hated the crate. Eventually I started letting her sleep in my bed just for the sake of some peace and quiet which I don’t actually mind however, recently she refuses to sleep at all even in my bed! It doesn’t matter what I do, I’ve tried taking her on multiple short walks in the day and an hour before bed, long walks, playing with toys, training etc. it doesn’t make any sense because when we’re watching tv before bedtime she’ll settle down next to me and go to sleep but as soon as I put her in bed she’ll jump off of the bed and howl at the door.

Does anyone know why she’s doing this and how I can get her to settle back down again? We never had this issue with any of our previous dogs or our other current dog.

Chariya

Sounds like your pup has trained you well rather than you training your pup. I have an 8 month old Dachshund puppy that I spent quite a few sleepless nights with. This is what I did when I got her from the first night when she was 8 weeks old and I used the puppy apartment so she could pee and poop in it so I didn't have to take her out in the middle of the night.
When she would start whining and crying I would lay on the floor next to her crate and touch her through the cage so she knew someone was there with her until she fell asleep again and I would go back to bed. This went on for a while and would get less and less as time went on. She would wake up in the middle of the night, use her potty area in the crate and go back to sleep without waking us up. She still sleeps in the same crate and no longer whines or potties in it. She sleeps in the room with us at night and knows we're there with her so she's quiet. This is also the first time I tried the puppy apartment with a Dachshund puppy and I've had 3. The method I use has worked crate training my puppies. You may have to start over with crate training. I do not let my puppies sleep on the bed with me until after they're a year old, they like to chew things up and may sneak away while your sleeping. The Dachshund in the picture does sleep on the bed but she is 5 years old.

matilda

Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me.

My miniature dachshund has always had separation anxiety and this affects her a lot during bed time. When we got her we tried to crate train her and it was very on and off, at first she would only sleep in the crate if it was in my room and then eventually managed to get her to sleep in her crate in the living room. This wasn’t a long term thing though as she is very stubborn and would howl all night even if I slept in the living room with her she just hated the crate. Eventually I started letting her sleep in my bed just for the sake of some peace and quiet which I don’t actually mind however, recently she refuses to sleep at all even in my bed! It doesn’t matter what I do, I’ve tried taking her on multiple short walks in the day and an hour before bed, long walks, playing with toys, training etc. it doesn’t make any sense because when we’re watching tv before bedtime she’ll settle down next to me and go to sleep but as soon as I put her in bed she’ll jump off of the bed and howl at the door.

Does anyone know why she’s doing this and how I can get her to settle back down again? We never had this issue with any of our previous dogs or our other current dog.
I have been breeding, showing and loving many dachshunds for the past 20 years. You have the type of dachshund that is totally needy. I have only owned one maybe two in my experience and no one can relate unless they have had one. Here's the thing. You need to move her crate by your bed, close enough where she can hear you sleep. Talking to her when the lights go out is good, I sometimes sing a lullaby. No joke. I also cover my dachshunds with a crate cover (you will thank me for this). Just a cheap one because she could chew on it and drag it thru the bars. The purpose is the mimic a den. The way to stop the crate crying is to put her in a crate and leave, but return very quickly. Then increase the increment. You see, it's the returning of you that gives her support, so you need to do it often and increase the time until all that nonsense is past. Giving her confidence is what you are needing to do, not support the fact that "Oh, My God, she has left me here!". The only way you are going to EVER get a good night's sleep is to let her hear you breathing while you do it. Good luck, because you will need it.