5 month old puppy help!

cbressler1976

Hi all! I have a 5 month old chiweenie (mother was a dachshund and father was a chihuahua)... Just when I think that she has this house training thing down, she has an accident! I know that she knows what to do because just last night she scratched at the door to go potty outside. Also, every night starting at 5:00 she needs to go pee every half an hour until 7:00, so that is 5 times in two hours! She was doing so good, she didn't have an accident for three days, so I opened up our room to her and she did good for two days and then today she had an accident! When she goes outside all I have to do is tell her to go potty and she goes... My problem is, we have a carpeted area in our house that we have gates at because I am afraid that she will pee there. I want to be able to get rid of the gates, but I don't think that I will ever be able to! Is 5 months old too young to expect her to not have accidents?

cbressler1976

I didn't realize this, but I have a post here from last month...ha! ha! Sorry for the same frustrated posts, but I am just soooo discouraged!

sherlock

5 months is still pretty young...as much as it sucks sometimes they still backslide for a while. Watson is a little over a year old and he still has accidents sometimes (though it's usually my fault, if I don't recognize his asking to go out.)

Stay positive! She'll get it :)

cbressler1976

5 months is still pretty young...as much as it sucks sometimes they still backslide for a while. Watson is a little over a year old and he still has accidents sometimes (though it's usually my fault, if I don't recognize his asking to go out.)

Stay positive! She'll get it :)
Thank you so much! I just worry sometimes that I am doing something wrong...

MatthewLP

Nope you doing just fine. Its just the breed. Your lucky your chiweenie side of the gene pool is moving things along. full breed dachshund can take up to a year (give or take)

vizzla

In my experience dachshund can also have accidents around their sexual maturity (at 8 months) so just keep praising when she does outside and ignore inside. It will pass... :) We have a 8 months old now that peed in our bed just weeks ago :( Not so funny but just cleaning it up and look happy! Its just accidents...

HERSHELtheHUND

Hershel is 4 months old. When taken outside he goes pee right away. Poo is on a timer. 7:30am, 2pm then around 7pm. Give or take an hour here and there at 2pm and/or 7pm. He always goes poo in the morning though.

With that said I always keep an eye on him. He is notorious for peeing on his pillow if I don't keep an eye on him. He is getting better but still it's my fault if he had an accident. It's not hard to figure his schedule out.

Best thing I ever read was the reference to their bladder being the size of a shot glass. Also gotta keep an eye out for his sniff routine.

Best of luck to you