Question on ee reds and hidden dapples

GrantingGrace

I have a couple questions, I hope some of you will be kind enough to humor me!

I read that ee reds should not be bred with dapples, because this could create hidden dapples down the line which may be bred to other dapples. Do you think that it would be sufficient if you require anyone who buys a puppy to sign a page stating they understand that their puppy may be a hidden dapple and should be tested before breeding, and any offspring should be given the same notice to avoid defects? Or is this expecting too much?

I've had one breeder after another swear to me that it's ok if you breed a black and tan with one dapple parent to my dapple, because if they don't show it, they can't throw it. But I've had one breeder tell me they were surprised by a hidden dapple cream sire throwing dapples in a confirmed tested dapple free bitch. I'm trying really hard to find a puppy who has no dapple in the parents and it's seeming to be impossible. I just want a black and tan long male .

Really looking to do the best I can. I've sent off my swabs to clear my dapple of health issues. I just want healthy puppies, and would prefer the classic look!

Thank you for any input.

CaseyKC

Hi Grace and welcome! Here is an excellent overview on colors and patterns. https://www.playbarkrun.com/dachshund-colors/
Fortunately I am not a breeder because I am still confused, but I would suggest that you join Learning Dachshund Patterns, Colors, & Coats on Facebook. There are some members of that group who have expertise in Dachshund genetics and they may be able to help you.

Last edited:

GrantingGrace

Hi Grace and welcome! Here is an excellent overview on colors and patterns. https://www.playbarkrun.com/dachshund-colors/
Fortunately I am not a breeder because I am still confused, but I would suggest that you join Learning Dachshund Patterns, Colors, & Coats on Facebook. There are some members of that group who have expertise in Dachshund genetics and they may be able to help you.
[/URL]
Thank you, I've been told that no matter what the results of the pups are they could all carry dapple, so even if I have a clear black and tan sire their puppies could still all carry dapple because of my dapple bitch (even a black and tan) it and it would be the same.