Long haired dachshund ( I think ! )

Dolli

Hi guys, newbie dachshund owner with a question about their dachshund and about long haired dachshunds in general. I've searched the internet as best I can and I cant seem to get an answer and Ive been curious about it from looking at lots of different dachshund puppies and dogs. My puppy is a little mini tan & black dachshund that my mum got for me. (Named Kuro) She says hes a long haired and considering we have smooth haired dachshunds I'm inclined to agree given his coat is completely different to theirs. Problem with Kuro is though his fur is "long" and thick its still really short in comparison to the pics of long hairs that I've seen. Hes about 8 weeks old. Do these features of the dogs coats take a while to become obvious ? Will his hair and coat features grow as he ages ? Is that a thing with long haired dachshunds ? Heres some pics !

Kuro
Kuro
Kuro and his brother.

For reference I really don't care which length his coat is or anything, I love him no matter what, but I'm very curious about this. Also the father was a long hair and the mum was a smooth hair.

CaseyKC

I would study his pedigree to see if there are a lot of smooth hairs in his heritage, ( in an AKC litter, an "s", "l", or "w" will be indicated immediately following the kennel name and formal name of the dog. This indicates smooth,long or wire. Yuo could also talk to his breeder to find out at what age his/her lines produce a full coat. In some lines, it can take up to two years or more. You could also check around his foot pads to see if the hair around them is longer than in other places. Long hairs were developed way back when from crossing spaniels with smooth hairs. Sometimes a pup from a cross coat litter like your baby, will inherit a smooth gene from both parents, and be smooth, or a combination of both, called a "broken coat". If all else fails, and you really want to know, there are companies that will test his DNA.

Dolli

I would study his pedigree to see if there are a lot of smooth hairs in his heritage, ( in an AKC litter, an "s", "l", or "w" will be indicated immediately following the kennel name and formal name of the dog. This indicates smooth,long or wire. Yuo could also talk to his breeder to find out at what age his/her lines produce a full coat. In some lines, it can take up to two years or more. You could also check around his foot pads to see if the hair around them is longer than in other places. Long hairs were developed way back when from crossing spaniels with smooth hairs. Sometimes a pup from a cross coat litter like your baby, will inherit a smooth gene from both parents, and be smooth, or a combination of both, called a "broken coat". If all else fails, and you really want to know, there are companies that will test his DNA.
Thanks so much for the reply. Unfortunately my puppy didn't come from any registered breeders, he came from mum's friend who put her dachshund with one of HER friend's dachshunds so I dont really have a family line to look back on, just the description of both mother and father. Last night I went digging through the forum to see if anyone had any questions like mine and I did find at least one other person from a while back! Their puppy looks almost exactly like Kuro save for the colouring and then, after 10 months, she had developed her long hair. There was another person in the comments who said their dachshund was the same and he looked like a lot like Kuro too as a pup so it seems that this is probably just a waiting game. Like I said though, either way hes my precious little baby and I love him no matter what but
it will be fun and exciting to see what his coat develops into over time! His hair is pretty "long" ( longer than the rest of him, otherwise his hair is really soft and thick ) on his chest, behind his ears and on his "elbows" as well under his tail near his bottom. I realise my pics probably dont do it much justice because his black fur blends everything in and theyre not so great, haha.

CaseyKC

I have had dachshunds since 1973, with one beagle while my children were growing up. With the exception of one of these dachshund babies, all of the dachshunds that came into our lives as family members were smooth hair puppies and the exception was a wire hair. I have never had a long hair, but I do admire their elegant looks. Over the years, I was active in dachshund rescue, doing transport to forever homes, fund raising for the spay and neuter of dogs coming into rescue, I think you call it de-sexing in Australia, (and for other monetary needs of my rescue, mostly medical rehabilitation,) and fostered several "downed doxies" with back issues until they were recovered and considered able to be adopted. With all this dachshund activity and contact, I gained some knowledge about dachshunds. I currently belong to several Facebook groups and have continued absorbing interesting dachshund facts through the very knowledgeable breeders and owners in these groups. Good luck with your new baby and show us some photos, especially when her long hair starts coming in.

dextersdaddy

I have had dachshunds since 1973, with one beagle while my children were growing up. With the exception of one of these dachshund babies, all of the dachshunds that came into our lives as family members were smooth hair puppies and the exception was a wire hair. I have never had a long hair, but I do admire their elegant looks. Over the years, I was active in dachshund rescue, doing transport to forever homes, fund raising for the spay and neuter of dogs coming into rescue, I think you call it de-sexing in Australia, (and for other monetary needs of my rescue, mostly medical rehabilitation,) and fostered several "downed doxies" with back issues until they were recovered and considered able to be adopted. With all this dachshund activity and contact, I gained some knowledge about dachshunds. I currently belong to several Facebook groups and have continued absorbing interesting dachshund facts through the very knowledgeable breeders and owners in these groups. Good luck with your new baby and show us some photos, especially when her long hair starts coming in.
What are some of your favorite Facebook groups? I too love trying to gain as much knowledge as possible.

Cheers!

D

Deleted member 3082

Hi guys, newbie dachshund owner with a question about their dachshund and about long haired dachshunds in general. I've searched the internet as best I can and I cant seem to get an answer and Ive been curious about it from looking at lots of different dachshund puppies and dogs. My puppy is a little mini tan & black dachshund that my mum got for me. (Named Kuro) She says hes a long haired and considering we have smooth haired dachshunds I'm inclined to agree given his coat is completely different to theirs. Problem with Kuro is though his fur is "long" and thick its still really short in comparison to the pics of long hairs that I've seen. Hes about 8 weeks old. Do these features of the dogs coats take a while to become obvious ? Will his hair and coat features grow as he ages ? Is that a thing with long haired dachshunds ? Heres some pics !

Kuro
Kuro
Kuro and his brother.

For reference I really don't care which length his coat is or anything, I love him no matter what, but I'm very curious about this. Also the father was a long hair and the mum was a smooth hair.

D

Deleted member 3082

Hi, Dolli, I'm Nonnie. Our Girls, Sis and Lady (2 years) are from a long-haired Dad and smooth Black & Tan Mom. Both are considered long haired, but Lady has soft long hair and Sis's is long but a coarser texture, neither have the very long hair of their sire. As they grew, it developed. I've included pics of them at 8 months, and then at 2 years (now). I hope they help...

Attachments