Winter at my place...

Penny

If you want to see winter in Canada, here ya go. lol
Our main boulevard leaving our residencial development has 2 lanes leaving, 2 lanes coming in. Last weekend was a blizzard and we lost 3 of the 4 lanes to snow, some of it 3 feet high. One lane for both directions was a bit tricky. The plows finally came and opened it up so we had one lane in, one lane out. They do the main thoroughfares first before the side streets, so if you get your driveway done, the street is still full of snow. We got more snow over night and I just got the deck shoveled yesterday. Sigh.

My front door. The drift is higher than the front window..The steps and walk were clean yesterday.

The boulevard. You get an idea of the height of the snow drifts with the size of the vehicle in the other lane...

I'm in the car on the passenger side taking this...

With the single lane, and the ice..

Coming up to the traffic circle. That yield sign is rarely standing, cars slide straight into it, knocking it out, since they can't negotiate the turn with the ice. Go slow folks.

Not sure if the roads will be passable by morning but we're glad to have an all wheel drive with 'aggressive' tread on the tires. I don't think the smaller 'gas efficient' vehicles will manage and if they get stuck, it doesn't matter if we have all wheel drive or not. lol This is the boulevard for main traffic, not the residential streets here. There are plenty of fire hydrants that have a tall red pole attached so the snow plows can find them and dig them out. Bus stops get dug out as well. The over night low is -32C/-25.6F. If cars are parked outside they must be plugged in so that they will start in the morning.

That's life here!
The poopsies potty on the papers that neighbors collect for us to keep us in supply. 3 dogs sure pee lots when 1) they don't have to go outside and 2) they get a cookie. lol Beau never empties his bladder because why pee once when you can pee 3 times and get 3 times the treats?? He's got my number. lol

This is why we don't get walkies for 6 months of the year. lol

What's life like at your place in January? I'd like to see, especially those northern climates.

That's life at my place. :D

Last edited:

babysis

Oh my goodness the pics you have of the snow are beautiful but I bet it probably gets tiring! I'm down in Washington State and right now I'd show photos but there isn't much to show because right now it is cold and black ice.(Unless you consider my pic of Baby that was taken not too long ago.) It's at -1c ( 30 Degrees) and it is supposed to get colder tonight. It is usually cold in January then the last week of January it starts raining or snowing. As for my little girl (who's name is Baby) she stays inside the majority of the time because it is too cold for her. But she goes nuts in snow! She will go outside but then when she is done I make sure she is bundled up so she can warm up. And of course if she is good and does her business...she gets treats! But she catches on and goes outside and stands and sniffs around...then comes running back inside looking at me as if she is saying "Do I get a treat?"

vizzla

Looks like our winter :D
In the north of sweden we always get around 2 m of snow each year. In the south of sweden they dont know what snow is, they cant drive if its snowing, lots of accidents, train stops, nobody owns a shuvel. We dont seem to notice anything less than one m of snow. :D

Sometimes when the blizz comes maybe it is hard to drive to work.. :) I love the snow!

Inkeri

Yep, looks like winter in Finland. :D This year we haven't had that much snow - yet. Up north ppl know how to drive even in the snow, but in the south where the bigger cities are winter always comes as a surprise. ;)

I think in Lapland the dark-times just ended and they're starting to see the sun every day. Do you guys live that up north that you have months with no sun at all? I don't, but I have friends who do.

vizzla

In december we only have sun for 1 hour each day. Now we get 6 minutes of more sun everyday! So today we had sun from 10-14 :)

We went for a walk on the ice with the whole of Luleå outside! :D We have -7 degrees and south of sweden have - 30 C!!! Its all up side down! :D

Attachments

Penny

That's what I want to hear from, Finland and Sweden! :D
We don't get 2 meters of snow per season, thank you God. Sunrise currently is at 8:17 and sunset at 17:02, lots of daylight compared to you. lol
I'll be sure to remind my hubby how fortunate we are. :p

Post some snow pics soon, kay? :)
I haven't gotten to use this smilie face yet :eek: and I bet I will.

Steph

Holy cow! You have more snow than we do in Ontario right now. We have a dusting over top of ice and blowing snow... :(

Hermes and Hercules LOVE the snow and will spend hours out in it, while Arelus wouldn't give you a thank you for it, LOL

Penny

I LOVE your photos. What a treat to see someone enjoying winter photography, and in such lovely scenery! Alf is absolutely gorgeous. I love how the sun, when it's low, can make a red boy's color spectacular.
Love all the shots. Thank you for posting.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Where are you Penny? Cuz we sure as heck have nothing copmpared to you as far as snow goes... and we just had a week long Chinook whick brought temps up to +10C! It's back down into the -20C's now though :) We get alot of cold, but not alot of snow here in Central Alberta.

Penny

I'm in Winnipeg. I would love a week of +2C (Excellent for the park!) but I'll have to be patient. No Chinooks here. Lucky you!

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Winnipeg... the coldest place in Canada apparently... though I'm assuming they just mean Provinces (not Territories) as it's gotta be colder in the Arctic LOL

I LOVE the Chinooks, I've seen temps go from -35C to +8C in a matter of hours :) Usually only lasts a day or 2 but certainly gives us a break from the -30 crap!

Penny

Winnipeg... the coldest place in Canada apparently... though I'm assuming they just mean Provinces (not Territories) as it's gotta be colder in the Arctic LOL

I LOVE the Chinooks, I've seen temps go from -35C to +8C in a matter of hours :) Usually only lasts a day or 2 but certainly gives us a break from the -30 crap!
I think it's the coldest Canadian city above a certain population.
Hard to dress for those swings in temps! It was -25C today but not much wind so I went for a nice walk, did shoveling, and stayed outside a while. Nice. If I had more time I would have taken a poopsie for a ride in my parka.