What are your top 3 favorite dog breeds?

jeckstone

What are your top 3 favorite dog breeds and why? I'd like to know because I just love dogs.

I personally love all dog breeds but if I had to choose my 3 favorite they would be:
1. Poodle
2. Golden Retriever
3. Labradoodle

** Also, do you prefer large dogs or small dogs & why? :)

I'd love to read all the responses.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Well, labradoodles aren't a breed :)

But here's my 3 favs..

Irish Terrier
St. Poodle
Borzoi

I like all sizes, but the little ones are alot cheaper to feed! LOL

nola

Dachshunds
Salukis and/or Greyhounds
Mastiff

I also like Blue Tick Coonhounds, Border Terriers, French Bulldogs, Bernese Mountain Dogs, GSDs, German Shorthaired Pointers and Aussies.

I like all sizes, but small dogs are so much cheaper to feed, vet, ect and are much easier to travel with. For that reason, I'll probably be sticking to dogs under 25lbs, but I really want an Aussie and a Saluki or Greyhound in the future.

Inkeri

Dachshund (all coats and sizes) :)
Australian shepherd
Long haired german shepherd

I also like doberman, smooth collie, greyhounds ...

vizzla

Dachshund
Corgie
Collie (but in Sweden they are overbreed so their mental health are not good, many fears and nervous.. )

amparra

Labradors
Boykin Spaniels
Brittanys

Sorry OP, Labradoodles and other "designer" dogs are not breeds. Huge pet peevee of mine!

sherlock

Well of course dachshunds!
I also really like beagles (my parents have one we got when I was 13) and corgis.

I'm partial to small dogs. This is really only because I'm a pretty small lady, and big hyper dogs scare me cause if they jump on me they can potentially knock me over. Big dogs who are calm don't really bother me. But I just can't see myself ever having a dog who weighs more than me...

HilyBee

Longhaired Dachshund
Cocker Spaniel

I don't really have a third because that spot is "open". I love animals so much I'm not really breed specific. I'd take in any dog if it would be my best friend. <3

ClubCharlie

Since we've got three different breeds at home (Charlie being my dachshund), I guess I'll go with those since I love em all :)

1 - Dachshund
2 - Lab
3 - Beagle

It's quite the interesting mix of sizes we have at home :) Fun to watch!

Steph

That's a hard choice, but if I had to choose:

1) tied Dobermans and Dachshunds
2) Ibizan Hounds - loooove the ears, lol
3) Cane Corso

I come from a family that loves their big dogs, but I do enjoy my 3 little boys :D

babysis

Of course Dachshunds!
Labs
Great Danes

I love all types of dogs, any size, size- you name it. I used to raise labs- one of the most gentle breeds I have ever come across. And danes think they are the size of a dachshund! <- the true gentle giants. But I admit, being used to large breeds, I am still getting used to my doxie now- 6 years later! from 120bs down to 10lbs! :p

Hayleysmom

Dachshund, thanks to my lovely Hayley
Chihuahua's
Boxers

I have had chihuahua's and boxers my entire life growing up, I love them. I know what they need, how to train them, and their problem areas, etc. If I were to ever own anymore dogs after the two I have now, it will be from the three above hands down.

Currently I also own a German Shepherd and have owned a French bulldog, while I love them, I think they will be the only ones of their breeds that I would own. French bulldogs can come with some serious health issues if you don't get them from a quality breeder. I was new to the dog buying world and bought my fenchie from a byb, a horrible one :mad:. He has such a horrible elongated palette that surgery would give him a 50/50 with improving or getting worse. He passes out from lack of air if he is over exerted, he throws up thick white foam when over exerted, and his body also becomes super tense when he is over exerted. Its a horrible thing to watch and my vet did not want the surgery for him. I opted to rehome him with my brother who has no children and no pets, a stress free home where he can live a "lazy" life. I know there are quality frenchies out there and even good breeders can not guarantee genes, but seeing the way my frenchie was here with the stress of kids and dogs was more than I and he could handle.

My German Shepherd is fantastic. I love her, but she constantly whining lol, its a german shepherd trait and I learned this after we had her for a few months. They are also a TON of work and need TONS of training otherwise they become super bored and either start to become defiant, dig, and tear up household items (a few reasons why you see so many in shelters). They are also constantly shedding, in fact GSD owners call them German shedders and say they shed all year long (its no joke, they shed A LOT). My GSD has some beautiful traits, she's loving, protective, gentle, but she can be a real spitfire and hardheaded. She'll be the last GSD I ever own, but I hope she lives a long healthy life with me since I have become attached to her. :eek:

jax's_mommy

I prefer big dogs over little dogs, although I do love them all the same and will be happy with any dog I have rather big or small.

Just really 3? hmm.. ok..
1. Pit bull - had 2 great dogs who were pits while I was growing up, they were the best dogs we ever had.
2. Great dane
3. Border Collie

Plus many, many more :) I love all of them but I do have quite a few favorites!

Lupita

Dachshund

Weimeraner

Italian Greyhound

It's more about the coat for me than the size of the dog. I love smooth-coated, sleek dogs. They feel clean to me. Of course, I love all dogs but those are the breeds I'd like to live with.

Nell

I love all dogs big and small, they all have their own each individual characters but my favourites would be;

Bassett Fauve De Bretagne
Petit Bassett Griffon Vendeen
Dachshund

Other favourites are Irish Woolf hound, Giant Schnauzer, Pointers, and Irish Terriers,

I have had the pleasure of owning, living and working with many different breeds but unfortunately my lifestyle does not allow for the larger breeds now :(

Last edited: