This section is to give advice on feeding

Tikki

It is not intended to promote any form of feeding, whether kibble, tinned, wet or raw feeding, nor is it intended to suggest or recommend any particular brand. It is here to help any queries whether it is what is the best food and how much/often to feed a new puppy or whether to change for an elderly dog. Possible suggestions if your dog appears to have skin allergies - what to avoid and what supplements might help.

It is also to help give advice if your dog is maybe getting a bit overweight, what you can do to help it lose that extra weight. This is very important with Dachshunds due to possible spine problems if the dog is overweight.

If anyone has any questions, this is the place to come and ask, and everyone is welcome to give their opinion.

Thank you.

Tikki

I would like to add that even though this is a Dachshund forum, questions and queries regarding feeding is for all breeds, including crossbreeds and plain mutts, are all welcome.

kerianne

hi I am new to the group. I just recently got a mini dashchund for my birthday. we named her rose. So the place we got her told us to feed her 1/3 of a cup of dry food mixed with 1tblsp of wet food 3 times a day. I am wanting her on the same schedule as my 9 year old sheppard. So I am doing that 2 times a day. Is that enough food or should I be feeding her more or less. It is very hard to get her to even eat all of it. but I sit next to her while she eats. And sometimes she 's it's it all other times she leaves like a spoonful left. Can you please advice me.
Thank you

Tikki

Hello Kerianne and welcome to the forum.:)

How old is little Rose and how much does she weigh? Also, did she come from a registered breeder as that amount of food sounds a lot to me - 1/3 cup of dry food is a lot as it swells up in their tummy when they drink water. If you measure out 1/3 cup into her bowl and then add warm water and leave it soak for about 1/4 hour you will see how much it expands. Add 1 tbs of wet food [do you mean canned?] - that is a heck of a lot of food. Also, if she is under six months old she should be on four small meals a day. Then reduce it to three meals a day until she is a year old. Unless, like my Tikva, she decided that two meals were all she wanted also though I cannot compare her to your little Rose as she is raw fed.

What brand food are you giving her? Did the breeder recommend anything or was that just what the breeder was feeding.

One important thing - please do not try to make her eat all that is in her bowl and do not sit with her while she is eating. Put her bowl down, leave her and let her eat what she wants. If there is still food in her bowl after 15 minutes then take the bowl away as she has obviously eaten the amount she wants. The one thing you do not want is for Rose to get overweight.

Also you cannot expect to get a puppy - or any small dog - onto the same schedule as a 9 year old Shepherd who is presumably a lot bigger and heavier. Small dogs, especially young ones, need small meals more frequently than large ones as their stomachs are that much smaller.

eric_dot_com

hi I am new to the group. I just recently got a mini dashchund for my birthday. we named her rose. So the place we got her told us to feed her 1/3 of a cup of dry food mixed with 1tblsp of wet food 3 times a day. I am wanting her on the same schedule as my 9 year old sheppard. So I am doing that 2 times a day. Is that enough food or should I be feeding her more or less. It is very hard to get her to even eat all of it. but I sit next to her while she eats. And sometimes she 's it's it all other times she leaves like a spoonful left. Can you please advice me.
Thank you

hello, just to my best knowledge and experience don't believe everything they told you or anyone else including your vet to give your dachshund or any dogs dry food. heres my two cents about what to feed your dog. make a home made diet food for your dog such as carrots, vegetables, fruits, etc and start giving them @ early age. But heres the thing, you can't just give them any fruit or vegetables out there because theres certain vegetables or fruits that they cannot eat. just google on the things that they can and cannot eat. a home made diet is cheaper in dozens and it is much healthier for your dog's lifespan and immune system. the most common reason why people give their dog dry food is because there don't have enough knowledge on what to feed their dogs or they are just too lazy to make a home made diet food for their companions. sometimes the best dry food out there on the market have so much calories and protein that it is too much for dogs to intake into their body and their body will not like it. raw food is also best i say that because all dogs ancestors go back to the wolves. yes, folks you can start telling people that your best friend ancestor was a wolf ! :) those guys live in the wild, thus why they can eat raw food. now, this is important..before you start feeding yourdog raw food make sure all of his health informations and wellness exams and everything checked out fine and only then you can start feeding them raw food in porportions. I recommend not gving raw food to puppy yet until they are in adult year. Home made food diet and vegetables and fruit is always comes first before raw food or half-raw and half-cooked diet. Don't believe the hype about dry or canned food. We went to stages of finding the best food for our dogs and we are happy that our dogs can eat what we eat too sometimes. Hope that helps anyone out there. Cheers !

Tikki

Perhaps you should study raw feeding before you post what you have read on Google, most of which is way from the actual facts of raw feeding. And I do not mean home-cooked but raw as it comes. You need to study and learn what is and what is not suitable, and what vitamins and supplements need to be added to make sure the dog has everything it needs. Cooking food destroys vital vitamins and supplements and cannot be compared to proper raw feeding.

My previous dog, who was severely epileptic, did very well as far as her health was concerned, although of course nothing can cure epilepsy, even on a totally full raw diet. But it kept her 100% healthy until the epilepsy could not be controlled.

And Tikva, once I had finished bottle-feeding and then weaning her, went onto raw feeding - mainly BARF as against Prey. I have studied the pros and cons of raw feeding, and I do not mean "raw" as in buying a pack of dehydrated so-called "raw" food, but raw meat and raw vegetables.

eric_dot_com

Obviously you do not know how to read. Read carefully what I've stated above. People not always going to do what you told them unless there's a reason or other options. I can assure you that my background and references will speak louder than my words. I do not have time to discuss my background due to the fact that I'm dealing with a dillusional admin staff that is literally a puppy. It's just a waste of time now and it's definitely not worth it.

Tikki

You have just had your second warning and Admin has requested that your account be banned.

You are ignorant about raw feeding and calling me a disillusion person "literally a puppy" - have you ever come across a 74 year old "puppy"? Especially one who has studied canine cuisine for many years now, and who has a medical degree.

Please do not post your rubbish on this Forum, which is a serious one, or, I am afraid, you will be considered as nothing but a troll.

Thank you.

Tikki - Staff

JakeysMom

Hi. I have a question about dog food for my 9.5 lb. Mini Dachshund Jakie. I haven't seen any brand names mentioned in this thread, but I've been feeding Jakie Royal Canin Dachshund since I began fostering him three years ago (I was a foster failure - fell in love with him before I brought him home from the rescue - a 10-minute drive). Rather than discuss what I've heard about this brand (which has been negative), what I'd like to ask is which food you guys feed your Doxies and why. Jakie has constipation from time to time and I give him a little canned pumpkin with every meal; it helps but am now wondering if the ingredients in this food may be contributing. Thanks.

TangledGrace

Hi. I have a question about dog food for my 9.5 lb. Mini Dachshund Jakie. I haven't seen any brand names mentioned in this thread, but I've been feeding Jakie Royal Canin Dachshund since I began fostering him three years ago (I was a foster failure - fell in love with him before I brought him home from the rescue - a 10-minute drive). Rather than discuss what I've heard about this brand (which has been negative), what I'd like to ask is which food you guys feed your Doxies and why. Jakie has constipation from time to time and I give him a little canned pumpkin with every meal; it helps but am now wondering if the ingredients in this food may be contributing. Thanks.
I am new here, our 7 year old (rescue) has been with us a week. She is very finicky, will not eat what we were told she ate before (Cesar's little dinner things). She wants to eat plain chicken breast or ground beef (I pressure cook it in water only) and will eat the Royal Canin Dachshund kibble. I'd also like some expert opinions!

Kitaku

I have a question, I went to the vet for a checkup on my doxie's back and she said he should lose some weight, to get him quality food, problem is I have tried it and he has had some allergies to it. I was wondering if there was something I could do for him to help with his weight. He can't excercise too much because of his back legs are not strong. The meds he's on makes him want to eat and drink a lot (prednisone). I feed him a bit of canned pumpkin for dogs it says weight control on it, he loves it but it makes him want to eat more. I will sTart to portion his food but I was wondering if there's something I could add to his food, maybe chicken or cooked carrots??? I''m not sure and if someone could have a recipe or something it would be awsome :) thanks! Also i'm not sure the portions he would need. He's 16 pounds roughly and he should be about 13-14

List of known allergies, shellfish, any form of coconut (serious reaction to it)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 3082

Kerianne and Kitaku, I totally understand your concerns about how much and what to feed. I was always told, "When they get hungry they'll eat!" But, a "Mother" worries, right? Long story short, "Lady was gaining weight, AND had been diagnosed with pancreatitis, so I now feed her 2-3X day, 1/4 C Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Low Fat formula; I mix in a generous tsp of either canned Royal Canin GI Low Fat, or fat-free cottage cheese. I'm aware some dogs have a problem with dairy, so I kept an eye out for any bad reactions, and saw none, so have continued with that--- they love it! That seems to add some "interest" to the low fat kibble. Sometimes, they get hungry enough, they'll eat the low fat kibble unadulterated! :)