Soiling beds..

JPsMOM

We have been diligently working on potty training. No puppy pads at all, keeping an eye on him, frequent outside trips. He has now taking to wetting his beds. He has 3 different beds, all of which he wet yesterday evening, at different times. Just a bit ago we were playing, and he ran over and got inside his crate, which I have told everyone is his "safe space" so if he goes in there don't bother him. I realized he ran in there and was urinating!! I took him directly outside, and he refused to go again...may have been done. What now?? By the smell of his bedding, I don't think this is the first time he has done it without our knowledge. Now I can't comfortably crate him when we run an errand or something either. I know he *will* wet and lay in something, I mentioned that before when I caught him sleeping on a wet puppy pad in the first few days. :( He is now in the laundry room with nothing but a few toys and I feel horrible but I don't know what else to do! If I put a bed or something for him to lay on in there he will wet it!

Last edited:

JPsMOM

I think I have had a breakthrough if anyone is interested. I have been thinking that since Jasper was just a week or so old when they seized him and his littermates from the puppy mill, he wouldn't have any of the crate soiling behaviors. However it occurred to me today that his mom WOULD have. They were still nursing, so they probably would have been kept in the same crate/area with mom at the foster home. So mom was probably soiling their bedding area..making it an action/scent that he is used to. I could be way off base...but maybe not. And just to be clear, he is not being kept in the laundry room alone all the time. That is just the place he is going as of right now if I can't have my eye right on him for a minute since I can't put him in his crate. Just wanted to make sure everyone knew I wasn't banishing the little guy!

Nell

How about leaving some of the soiled bedding in the corner of the laundry room on some puppy pads. Then leave a CLEAN bed with some biscuits on it in his OPEN crate in another corner, must be open so he can get out to pee. The biscuits on the bed are important as most dogs won't soil where they eat. Leave the soiled bedding on the puppy pads for a while until he gets used to going in that corner, then get rid of the soiled bedding hopefully he will then use the puppy pads in the same corner away from his bed. Always replace the soiled puppy pads in the same place and let him use these for a while. He will get there in the end it just needs patience and a bit of ingenuity! Good luck.

JPsMOM

Well I haven't tried that just yet since I haven't had to be away again... But he has a few times urinated right beside his food and water bowl in the kitchen (as in his water bowl was sitting in a puddle... If it weren't yellow I wouldnt have even questioned it..., ) so wouldn't that qualify as "where he eats"? :)

Sent via tapatalk

GJBain

Our almost 5 month old female Dachshund Brandy will do the same thing from time to time. She has been relatively good with going outside from day one at 9 weeks old. Going outside in the rain has been a challenge recently (see my thread about won't go in the rain). She is crated during the day and taken out every 3 hours by my sister. Every so often she goes in her crate. To me Dachshunds are the only breed I know that will go where they sleep or eat. Brandy sleeps with us at night in our bed and has gone 6-7 hours at night without any problem every night so I know she can hold it longer then 3 hours. I think she gets nervous in the crate. I will add I am not a fan of crating but we are trying it with this one.

JPsMOM

I am not a big fan of crating either, though I have seen good arguments for using it. He is only in his crate if I am leaving for a short time, and when riding in the car, unless he chooses to get in it since I leave it open for him. His crate is actually a comfort place for him, probably because he and his litter were part of a puppy mill rescue, and he would have been crated with mom until weaned for adoption at the Foster home. Most of the adults were afraid to be out of their crates. He sleeps with us as well and also easily goes several hours if not all night without needing to go potty. We have just gone with keeping all dog beds put away, as well as no bedding in his crate. So far so good :)

Sent via tapatalk

Last edited: