Sick baby

BarbC

Our Mac is sick... I suspect pancreatitis.. our last dachshund had it and Mackie's symptoms are similar. It is frustrating because we have been very careful about what we feed Mac and Mia.. not just their food but treats and yet here we are.. well possibly are. Labwork will be back in the morning. Sick dogs are right up there with sick kids... I just hurt for him. And I always worry that he feels abandoned when he has to stay at the vet's. BUT we have a great vet! My pups actually love to go! I have never seen anything like it. They are spoiled and loved on there.

My profile picture is Mac. We also have Mia.. black and tan long-hair. Both were bought as mini's but lean more towards tweenies in size to me.

It is going to be a long night for Miss Mia without her Mac.

I'm so sorry.

PD had pancreatitis. His symptoms started July 4, and his vet was closed. We thought it was his back, we had lost Henry to back problems just months before. We took him to the nearest vet hospital, and they treated him for a bad back. We had to leave town, and took him with us. By that evening, PD was lethargic and couldn't hold food down. He hadn't had anything to drink, and when I dipped my finger in water and placed it on his tongue, the vomited. We thought it was a reaction to the pain meds, since he has always had a sensitive stomach.

I got him back to the regular vet the next morning, and they kept him for the next three days. His kidneys had shut down, his liver was going south, and his pancreas was inflamed.

We almost lost him. Now it is so hard to know what direction to go when he complains about something. We've been battling combination of a sensitive stomach and a back ache the last week and a half.

He's finally better, but it looks like a bland diet for the rest of his life.

Sleep doesn't come easy when your little one hurts. If only they could speak.

We'll keep you in our prayers.

Deborah Thomas

Pancreatitis

My little female daschund, Mandy had pancreatitis twice, from eating cat poop out of the litter box. We had to put them up on a bench where she can't get at them. Do you guys have cats?

My little female daschund, Mandy had pancreatitis twice, from eating cat poop out of the litter box. We had to put them up on a bench where she can't get at them. Do you guys have cats?
How do you know it was cat poop? Our vets kept telling us that no one really knows what triggers the first attack. They knew us well enough to know we didn't feed our dog table scraps, and PD wasn't over weight, two of the risk factors.

That said, cat poop is PD's favorite snack. We have to keep an eye on him when we take him for walks. When he starts moving quickly in a straight line across the front lawn, I know I've got to re-direct him.

BarbC, how is your dog?